PDA

View Full Version : filtration for the 4 foot ?

fish_r
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:55 AM
just after some advise please :?:
just about to set up another tank :roll: :)
it a 4 foot @ approx 260lts...
i have two other tanks and have fluval filters on them "304 & 405"
i do like the fluval filters and never had any probs "yet" i like the valve that stops the water flow and ease of connection/maintenance etc. BUT i have read they arn't the best for filtering :?:
i'm tossing up on going Eheim IE: 2215 classic as iv'e read nothing but good things about them :?: do they have a valve thingy to shut off the water and regulate flow and how user friendly are they to clean etc :?:
thx
Rob...

Bill T
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 02:45 AM
I have two eheim canister filters for my 4 foot tank - one each end. One of them runs an inline heater & the other runs the UV steriliser.
They have gotten a bit noisy over time, but otherwise work a treat.
I find the advantage of having two of them is I can clean one at a time, thereby not risking bio load.
Also, if I want to move some fish for any reason (say into a breeding tank), I move one of the filters with them - instant cycle - & simply pulg in a spare filter.
As for user frindliness, they are O.K. so long as you don't lose vacuum in either intake or outlet hoses, which can be managed with those taps that come along with the units.

At water change I just keep them both running and take care to keep the water level above the intakes.

If I do need to restart, I have a little "priming" pump that I bought from Bunnings. I just plug this into the intake & turn it on until all air is expelled from the filter.

I would like to have a self priming system, but for now this works well.

fish_r
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 09:49 AM
thx for the reply Bill
would be nice to have 2 filters, but i have to minimise the power usage and plug spaces with this tank and trying to do it as cheap as pos, christmas comming up and all.
having the spare filter would be the go, maybe later ?
the only time i turn my filters off is to do maintenance on them so should be ok there.
ended up going the eheim 2215 couldnt resist the ASA special price :)