PDA

View Full Version : do certain discus show 'stress bands' more than others?

clineb
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hi all. Newbie here

About a month ago, I had a leopard join my family of discus.

he shares a tank with some pigeon bloods and a brilliant turq. (as well as gold rams, coreys). i was curious if this particular strain shows the black stripes on his body more so than others? he always his bands down his body (and a big one accross his eye) almost at all times...but seems to be getting along and eating just fine.

my brill.turq. shows them on rare occasion, but not usually...and the pigeons (of course) never do. in fact, sometimes my brilliant turq. will not even show the black strike pattern down his eye.

(a picture of what mine looks like from discushatchery.com...since my camera is broke)

http://www.discushatchery.com/gallery/discus06a.jpg

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 08:09 PM
Pigeon blood do not show the bars, instead they show peppering.

Some discus types show the bar more then others due to the genetics. Its quite common for turks to show the bar. :P

benjohnson
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 08:19 AM
He Looks quite young to , I have found that once they grow a bit older they tend to lose their bars a lot more until such a time as they breed etc , any where from 1.5 - 2 inches onwards and they seemed to not show their bars so much any more.

I had a fish , that when I bought him he had bars down him permanently for about 4 - 5 months, once he grew a bit bigger they were all gone, and he is now a really brilliant coloured turqoise fish !

samir
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 08:28 AM
would it be possible to see a larger picture of the fish in your avtar ??

benjohnson
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:25 PM
I assume your asking me that samir ? ;-)

samir
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:34 PM
yup

benjohnson
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:39 PM
Ok... will do it a bit later on .... are you about to make fun of my fishes moon coloured bum? He has a complex about it as it is !! :-P

benjohnson
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:42 PM
Here he is ... sorry about the rubbish quality, my phone camera isnt too good