PDA

View Full Version : Feeding fry

elvip
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:23 AM
Hi,
Just wondering what other forum members are feeding their discus fry after ceasing the baby brine shrimp???
What fry foods are avail and when do you start introducing these to the fry :?:
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:37 AM
Hi Elvira,

We move our fry away from the parents after 12-14 days free swimming and immediately introduce BH, brine shrimp, blood worms and flake along with baby brine. We use a blender with a grater attachement to make it small enough for them, beats the old hand grater! After a week or so on their own we gradually decrease the amount of baby brine and increase the other foods over 3 or 4 days and then they're away. After 4 months away from using a BH mix we're back with it, too good and too cheap.
MAC

elvip
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:48 PM
Hi MAC,
Thanks for the udate - at least now I have a bit more of an idea of what and when to feed the babies.
Hopefully this time I'll get it right!! :wink:
Cheers
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
Have you paired off the Gold Leopards with anything yet?
MAC

elvip
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:26 AM
Hi MAC,
No not yet - still looking for a nice male or two for them!
Why does it seem that certain types of males (golden leopards; albinos, RGDs etc) are so hard to come by??
Did you manage to get some gold leopard males in the end?? - don't suppose you'd have any spares?! :wink:
Cheers
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:38 AM
You need intermediates Elvira, I bought two males and a female and the guys are very clever, they lay eggs lol. Over a grands worth of fish and I still don't have what I need. I was thinking of trying a WLSS male but have no idea what this would produce. The intermediates look very similar but the genes maybe very different. I've paired one of them off, the one in the pic below, with one of the gold males I bought recently and they have just spawned so it will be very interesting to see what they throw.
Cheers
MAC

elvip
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:59 AM
Best of luck with the offspring MAC - I am sure they will be as gorgeous as mum in the photo!! But as you say - will be interesting to see, esp re the pigeon blood!
I will keep on the lookout for some suitable males - eventually I am bound to find one somewhere!!! :wink:
Might be worthwhile referring to the Discus Catalog re the possible genetics for the WLSS and GLSS - if you can get your head around it all!!
Let me know how you go.
Cheers
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Elvira,

I've looked at the catalogue and the closest I can find to what we have are Spotted Goldens. Martin Ng reckons if you cross a Golden with a Spotted Green you will get your Hybrids, cross the siblings and it should give you Spotted Goldens. A 2 year project. I should be able to tell what my GL and GD have produced within about 6-8 weeks as they started swimming 2 days ago. If the GD does the trick I'll give you a hoy. You'll need to contact Xtreme to get your Goldens as I doubt you'll find any here, I think they are able to source individual wants and needs. If not we can probably help but we won't be up and running for quite a few months yet.
MAC

elvip
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 09:55 PM
Hi again MAC,
Please let me know how you go with the offspring - will be interesting to see what you get?!!
Another question - as a general rule with genetics, it is not good to cross breed/ interbreed with the same gene pool - ie. cross breeding siblings- as the chance of genetic mutations increases greatly. I would assume this still applies to discus - or is cross breeding siblings a common practice in the discus/fish world??
Cheers
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 11:53 PM
Crossing siblings is common practise with Discus, however, the longer you go the more problems you may have. I think going through anymore than a couple of generations would increase the risk of genetic problems and deformaties. Maybe LR or some of the longer time breeders can shed more light on that for you.
MAC