PDA

View Full Version : black discus

billydiscus
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 06:10 PM
hi all

just like to ask have any of you seeing a black discus (not a sick discus )

i have read some think about this last summer

also the blackmoon discus
if you guys know where there is a site with photos can you please post so i can see what they look like for my self

below is a pic of a blue marble like to get my heads on some of these :lol: :lol:

endless
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 01:00 AM
wow never seen those before

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:05 AM
There isn't a "Black" discus as yet. But I'm sure there will be soon.

That discus sure looks interesting. I sure wouldn't mind it in my tank. :D

hhzfish
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 07:08 AM
What could be the cause? Genetic or environmental? why is it turning to solid black?

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:25 AM
Just viewing this thread again I'd just like to make myself clear. Some of the discus with black on them is not due to selective breeding - Its because of the use of hormones and cold water dips.

I would only want one if its the end result of selective breeding. :wink:

Halfmoon discus?

You mean the half black discus? This is not a case of selective breeding. I once read they turn this colour because they are dipped into cold water and the shock causes the fish to permanantly change colour to black.

There is a thread on this site about them. But i couldn't be bothered trying to find it. It was in the photom album if that helps. :lol:

HTH

mcloughlin2
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:28 AM
Here's a piccie i just found while browsing the site. One of our UK members has it as there avatar.

billydiscus
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:27 PM
dont like that

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 02:09 AM
Just viewing this thread again I'd just like to make myself clear. Some of the discus with black on them is not due to selective breeding - Its because of the use of hormones and cold water dips.

I haven't heard of that before. Where did you find that information.

stonedavid
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 02:20 AM
So thats what its from, you have answered a question for me. Have a pair of blue daimonds that bred during winter and some of the babies are blue and black 50/50, fit and healthy, most of them have lost it with the hot weather but a couple still have it. At first i was a bit worried about it, thinking it might get into all the tanks,( hmmm will have to tell my mate who was doing all the pathology tests for me lol). Only happened the once. Didnt even think of cold water, well that will teach them to bring a batch up in winter. Thxs for that guys.

RJ_Archer
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:03 AM
i red some were that those half moon discus get there tails choped off :(

Nathan
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:54 AM
yea ive read that discus can get that black marking from cold water changes an one of my discus got it when it ran into something (aparently somtethin to do with a pinched nerve or something) but it grew out of it.

i dont think IMO that look is a positive one.

mcloughlin2
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 08:11 AM

I haven't heard of that before. Where did you find that information.

I did a bit of research on them a few months back. I also read a comment made by Kev (Yep the same one who works/ed for SLS)

I'm sure its the same as with us humans - Our hair can turn gray during extreme periods of stress. But in this case due to the cold water the part of the fish that comes in contact with the cold water turns black.

HTH

Sam.

nicholas76
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 06:21 AM
yeah there was a discussion on this forum about it ages ago,,, time to do a search folks.

several pictures were posted too.

from memory Andrew SOh made a reference about "half moons" in his book too!

Mattzilla
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 10:31 AM
this looks similar

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31752&highlight=funky#31752

havn't seen too many pictures in my time....none in person ever

matt