PDA

View Full Version : enough lighting ? co2?

Pauly
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 06:14 AM
Hey, I'm setting up a new tank that will be planted discus and I want to ask a few questions about lighting . The tank is 122L x 36W x 66D cm . I was thinking 3 t5 tubes fitted into the aquarim hood would be ok , but would like to get your opinions first. Also where is the best place to get the equipment ie. tubes ,fittings & ballast etc. The tank will be co2 injected also which brings me to the question .What is the set up I need for a full automated co2 system ie ph reg & solinoids etc. This co2 system I will hope to put in a bigger 450ltr tank at a later date. Any advise would be great thanks.

AQUAMX
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
Hi Mate

3 T5HO tubes should do well on your tank size. I use a twin 55who unit on my 4x2x2 discus tank and find the subdued lighting works well with my wild caughts. It provides excellent color rendering for the plants while allowing the fish to remain at ease.

Plant choice will be your main criteria. Choose plants that are temp tolerant and light tolerant. Meaning plants that can handle lower light ranges. Generally all discus appropriate plants will fit into this catergory.

Many of the online stores carry these units, try Aquarium products wholesale or similar.

For a fully automated co2 setup you will need co2 controllers along with ph controller. The choices here are huge now. You could go from a solenoid type setup with a cheap timer to a fully automated dupla or similar setup such as the one described here

http://www.dohse-aquaristik.de/dupla/england/dupla/co2_system.php

Systems like this can be applied to any size tank as they are fully automated. Only thing you may change on a smaller setup is the type of reactor you run.

HTH

Brad

Pauly
Wed Nov 29, 2006, 06:01 AM
Thank you for the reply Aquamx . I was about to change my avatar in case of prejudice. :(
Any way the 3 tubes seem like the right idea to me to , I was worried I would make it all and find out my plants did not have enough light.
I am willing to pay the extra for a fully automated co2 system as my time because of work is limited and irregular. The sera system from asa looks good, and alot cheaper than anywhere else (like all there stuff ! Go ASA !! )has anyone tried one of these and will they mate to boc cylinders ?The dupla one as well looks good , does this have ph control comp ? Are there any other ph control systems out there ? Thanks again for the reply

AQUAMX
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:24 AM
Hi

There are many control systems on the market with a few new players like aquatronica(spelling?lol) that are looking good aswell. The fittings that i have seen(dupla,aquamedic,jbl,red sea, milwaukee etc) all fit to regular bottles from boc,supagas and air liquide etc. I would be looking at somewhere like boronia aquarium or a home brew centre as the rates are incredibly cheap for co2 cylinder hire. Around $18 per year for the hire.

The control systems use a probe and solenoid etc to control levels of co2 according to p.h. This is a seperate item from the computer. The computers are used to program in times,levels and intervals along with temperature etc etc depending on budget. Any fitting that attaches to the bottle can be used with any control system. The fitting is merely a means to reduce the pressure to an operating level from the bottle.

Cheers mate