PDA

View Full Version : The newest dude, for a couple of minutes at least

moneymike
Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:29 AM
Howdy everyone.
I was so stoked to see a link to this forum from aquariumadvice.com! My name is Mike and I have a new 65 galllon (We don't do liters up here) tank that I'm going to turn into a planted discus tank. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about both plants and discus for the last few weeks. Next week I'll fill up the tank. I've already soaked my drftwood for a couple weeks and rinsed out the flourite. Next weekend I will go check out the Discus specialty store in San Francisco and maybe put a few discus on reserve.

I plan on getting 6 for the tank, with two bristlenose plecos to keep things on the bottom tidy. Everyone tells me that they don't attach onto discus like ottos and other plecos.

For plants I plan on getting a few amazon swords and a couple cabombas for the background. I think a couple of the smaller swords will do well for the middle and maybe foreground. I'd love everyone's input who can lend a helping hand. I'm definitely not rushing into this, I won't be introducing any fish for about a month so the tank is cycled.

So far I'm very impressed with the advice helping that goes on here. Talk to you all soon...

Mike

scott bowler
Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:53 AM
welcome mike sounds like you have it worked out so good luck with it all ,as you know if you need help with any thing the guys always come up with something good bunch of people here all the best

mcloughlin2
Sat Nov 18, 2006, 03:19 AM
G'day mate,

Sounds like your doing everything perfect :!:

I havn't ever heard of otto's attaching to discus however. But you will be fine with the bristlenose ...

:wink:

Hope you enjoy ya stay

Sam.

Proteus
Sat Nov 18, 2006, 03:47 AM
Welcome to DiscusForums Mike...

Nice part of Ca you come from as well... gotta love the Bay area... :wink:

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:19 AM
A very warm welcome to the forum Mike.

Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Love to see pictures of your set up.

moneymike
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will be sure to post pics of my tank as it progresses.

moneymike
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:07 PM
Here are a couple pictures of the tank. The plants are Amazon Swords, Brazilian Millfoil, and a Giant Annubias. I'm not sure about the Annubias, but we'll see. I have it cycling now, awaiting some nice Discus that are hanging out in my mom's tank.

http://billyphive.mypicgallery.com/randompeepSSS/p1010025-2_large.jpg

http://billyphive.mypicgallery.com/randompeepSSS/p1010026-2_large.jpg

http://billyphive.mypicgallery.com/randompeepSSS/p1010027-2_large.jpg

PS, what are some good fert tablets I can use? All I'm using now is a solution.

scott bowler
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 07:20 AM
hi moneymike
how are you that looks good mate post this in the photos album forum for all to see it is tops

mcloughlin2
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:56 AM
Shows alot of potential! :wink: