PDA

View Full Version : Discus Sale!

Xtreme
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:50 AM
We have a new shipment of Discus arriving next week, to clear the current stock, we are offering 20% off! If you are a DF member, you will receive an additional 10%, making your purchases on Discus 30% and very affordable! :)
Hurry in, don't miss out of some excellent specials! :)

Thanks!

Rebecca

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 04:33 AM
Wow, sounds like a great bargain Bec.

Sydney folks have all the luck :P

Robdog
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:31 AM
Sydney folks have all the luck :P

Says she from Melbourne with all the apisto specials! :roll: :wink:

Xtreme
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 05:35 AM
Just a short note to say thank you to all the DF members who came from everywhere and visited our shop this weekend! We appreciate your support, and it was very nice to put faces to names!! :thumb

scott bowler
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:10 PM
bec and wayne its the least we can do with all the support that you show the hobby and this forum with the prizes and the great deals that you offer so thank you too.

samir
Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:50 PM
you had some fry food, is it the one that's sold in the uk ? could you put up the prices/sizes ?....please.

Proteus
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 02:18 AM
you had some fry food, is it the one that's sold in the uk ? could you put up the prices/sizes ?....please.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6364

More widely known around the world as Mike Reeds Food (USA)

Ultra Plus Fry Food
(Size 1 - 100 - 200 microns)
(Size 2 - 200 - 500 microns)

Ultra Plus No BS (Brine Shrimp) Fry Food, eliminates the need to raise baby brine shrimp to feed and rear superior fry, or baby fish.

Tests by breeders and hobbyists show that Ultra Plus Fry Food grows fry to equal or bigger size faster and more uniformly than does baby brine shrimp or any other diet tested. In addition, traditionally-fragile strains stopped experiencing typical fry losses and grew at the same rate as more vigorous varieties.

Tests with discus, angels, guppies, bettas, and others yielded extraordinary results. Angel fry, for example, grew faster and took typical angel shape 2 to 3 days earlier than siblings on other diets, including baby brine shrimp. They got to marketable size much earlier as well. There were similar results with other species. For example, a betta strain that normally reached baby-guppy size in 3 weeks reached that size in 2 weeks on Ultra Plus food.

A Close Look at the New Fry Food

Ultra Plus Fry Food comes in two sizes. They share 5 components. The small food (100-200 microns) contains a 6th component not in the larger food (200 - 500 microns).

Component 1 - This is the heart of the foods as far as quantity goes. In the small food, it is 65% by weight. In the larger food, it is 75% by weight. It is very high in protein and also has lots of fat, a very important feature. It seems to be very palatable even on its own, working as an attractant as well as a great food. It contains all the important fatty acids (HUFAs) you have been reading about. These and other critical fatty and oily products are microencapsulated in the food so they do not create excessive oil in the water.

Component 2 - "Flavor-bursting" particles. These make up 10% by weight and are key to getting fry to eat more than they normally might and tempting those that might otherwise be runts to eat enough to catch up with the others. By inducing hearty eating at such an early age, these substances cause fry to eat enough to stretch their tiny stomachs giving them all a good start toward being good eaters for life and large, vigorous adults with that special robust sturdiness we all recognize in superior fishes.

Component 3 - Immune-boosting particles. These make up 5% by weight. Scientific tests abroad indicate that this material bolsters fishes' immune system. It may be partly responsible for the higher survival rates in fragile varieties. And it decreases chances of wildfire infections that can wipe out entire spawns.

Component 4 - Protein booster particles. These make up 5% by weight. They are added to insure that protein, so vital to health and growth, is maximized.

Component 5 - Egg-containing flakes. These make up 5% by weight. Primarily, they add egg protein, completing the high-quality, high-availability protein profile of the food. And they make transition to larger flake food easier when the fry are taken off these special fry foods.

Component 6 - Fat-booster particles. These are present only in the small food and make up 10% of it by weight They give crucial extra fat to very small fry at the time in their lives when they need it most.

How You Feed It

Ultra Plus Fry Food should be kept closed and cool or cold when not in use. As a guide, figure the small food will be right for the small fry of gouramis, rainbow fish, tetras, etc. until they are just over a quarter of an inch long and for angels for about 2 weeks from the day they become free swimming. Guppies can start with the large food but will do better if put and kept on the small food for 2 to 4 weeks, or until they reach a bit over a quarter of an inch in length. For discus, it depends on how long they are left on the parentıs backs. Whenever you go off the small food, just switch to the larger food. The fishes will need no adjusting, because it is almost identical to the small food but for size. Obviously, you can feed both foods at once if you like. And the larger food can be fed to adult guppies and other small adult fish to produce superior breeders and show fish.

Best way to feed is to take the amount you plan to use, add it to a container of tank- or tap-water, stir well or cover and shake, then simply pour the water and food into the tank. Concentrate on the areas where the fry are but also streak some of the food throughout the tank. The food moves about in the tank, propelled by the currents from your sponge filter or airstone. Alternatively, you can take a very tiny pinch of the food, drop it in the tank and stir the top water gently once or twice.

samir
Mon Nov 20, 2006, 05:15 AM
thanks Pro, was looking for that post everywhere :D, i'll probably come in around the weekend and pick up some.

Xtreme
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 05:15 AM
In conjunction with the ASA "Midweek Madness" forum member only sale we have a great store only special for you.

Hikari Blood Worms 32pk now $2.95

These normally sell for between $5.00 and $6.50

(Whilst stocks last, store pick up only)

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 05:55 AM
Samir, that fry food is excellent.

I've used it on everything from discus fry, angel fry, betta fry and apisto fry to red horseface fry, with great success.

madaboutfish
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Merrilyn,

May I know when and how you feed the fry food? I followed the instructions but in my tank they just fall to the bottom where my fry just don't seem interested. I have discus fry that have been free swimming for 3 days but they do not seem to eat any of it. I must be doing something wrong.

Nick

samir
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:02 PM
they should start eating artemia at around 5-6-7 days. don't worry about feeding them till then or you'll just end up dirtying the tank. relax and enjoy them for the first week because its all downhill from there :wink:
Merrilyn, when does one start feeding the fry food ? can one skip the artemia altogether ?

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 01:02 AM
Nick, don't expect your fry to eat anything but the slime coat of the parents for the first week. They're not ready for food till then.

After that, I mixed some of the fry food in with frozen baby brine shrimp, mixed it all in a small amount of aquarium water, then using an eye dropper, released a small amount over the school of fry, letting it roll down the sides of the parents.

Takes them a couple of feeds to get the idea, but I gradually reduced the amount of brine shrimp and increased the amount of dry food. I fed them with this mix three times a day.

At this early stage, their main food is still the parent's slime coating. Between ten days and two weeks I introduce very finely grated beef heart as well and at three weeks remove the parents from the fry tank. At this time, the fry are eating dry foods, grated beef heart, grated frozen blood worm and crushed flake.

I find remolving the parents, and leaving the fry in the spawning tank doesn't upset the fry as much as catching them and putting them in a new tank. Much easier to move the parents.

Crocky
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
ultra plus fry food is no good for discus till there 3 weeks,my babies just won't eat the stuff.BBS at day 3 till you see fry hunting for it, then you can feed fbbs.