PDA

View Full Version : Discus Problem

africandiscus
Thu Sep 09, 2004, 01:33 AM
I have a “small” discus problem. I used to have 6 discus in my tank. 4 of the 6 got sick and I lost 3. I managed to cure the last sick one. It had every disease in the book. During this period the healthy discus and the sick one used to share the food. Now that he is better the healthy discus will not let the recovered discus eat. The healthy discus has become a lot more aggressive to the recovered one.

Any suggestions?

flukes
Thu Sep 09, 2004, 02:35 AM
If it gets too the point where they arnt getting ANY food i think you might have too seperate them.

Also water changes and salt seem too increase apetite once you have seperated them and if the other is still not eating.

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 09, 2004, 06:35 AM
Three in a tank is not a good number. The weaker one will always get picked on.
Six is a better number to share the aggression, but I'm reluctant to advise you to get more, in light of your recent problems with disease. Your fish may now be immune, but new fish introduced to the tank may not be. For the time being, perhaps a tank divider might be the solution.

ahsan
Thu Sep 09, 2004, 06:50 AM
Well it happened for me more than once , that fish recovering from disease is often picked up by the any other healthy fish during feeding times. What i have found out is that the fish after starving for a few days dew to any reasons comes back for food it is then sometimes picked by some other. In these kind of scenarios i used to target feed my fish a few times , also a recovering fish means that he would find some food , maybe it would get lesser food in the begining but later on it gets normal and the fish is stopped being bullied around. And if the healthy fish is too much aggresive towards the weaker one , just bring in 3 more , this would certainly solve the problem
Regards
ahsan