PDA

View Full Version : Discus easily spooked

endless
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:16 AM
Just wondering why my discus are easily spooked in the morning but at night when the lights are one they are fine. In the morning i have to walk up to my tank real slowly to feed them otherwise they become flighty. However at night they are always at the front of the tank waiting for food and dont seem to mind my presence.

I have about 20 adult or near adult discus in an 8x2x2 tank. I also have a 300 litre corner tank. When the discus are in the corner tank they are not timid at all, however when i move the same discus to the 8 footer they become more timid. Similarly when i move a timid discus from the 8 footer to the corner tank they become brave.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the water in the 8 footer as all my discus are fat and healthy and lay eggs just about once a week (though never successfully reached the fry stage).

Water parameters of both tanks are:

Temp: 28 degrees
PH: 6.6
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 20
Water changes: 30% every two to three days (water goes into the garden)

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:45 AM
"imo" healthy discus get jumpy when tanks are not properly lit (patches of shadow ). try keeping the lights on in the day and see if that makes a difference.

Del
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:11 AM
I have the same problem Endless.

My tank is opposite a big bright window and during the day (even with the tank lights on) they hide and are very timid.

At night, they are fine, out, about and begging for food - so maybe its the brightness? Maybe your corner tank is more sheltered...?

DEL

endless
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:30 AM
That could be it guys. My 8 foot tank sits in my lounge room which has a big window to the left and another big window to the right of the tank while my corner tank is in a corner where no shadows are cast during the day. I'll try closing the blinds and turning on the lights during the day to see if there are any improvements. thanks for your help guys

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:40 AM
do let us know how it goes as there's a lot of different opinions on lighting / discus behavior.

mistakes r crucial
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:47 AM
IME they simply do not like direct sunlight, freaks em out severely. My fishroom is a double garage, 50 odd tanks and I'll guarantee you when the garage door opens they all want to run for cover. Just another issue to solve! On the other hand, you want to show a potential buyer what they look like under tank lights and they may be a bit hesitant for the first 2 minutes but after that they're fine. Direct sunlight, for mine, they hate it!
MAC

Jadels
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
I have one discus which is the smaller one and he is as brave as bold and the other one just hides all time except when food goes in he will eat. The smaller is always swimming around and at the front watching you, the big one is at the back hiding.

I think it is the individual personality of the fish..

WinnY
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:59 PM
Can discus see clearly at night?

The reason is that I have a tank in my bedroom and some times when I just raise my hand when I'm sleeping, they tend to move and splash in the tank. It gives me a small shock lol :o