PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Gill

EccentricDiscusLuver
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 05:55 PM
Hi fellow seniors,

I have just joined this forum after been following on the posted information earnestly for the past months. All I could summarized is the passion and dedication for discus displayed by fellow seniors here amazes me to pour my heart out to ensure the best ENVIRONMENT is provided within my capacity for my discuses to grow.

Summary of my tank:

A 5 footer that could accomodate approximately 150 gal with an external filter of approximately 30 gal. The external filter consists of 3 compartment for cotton, bio (shellgrit) and the last one with peat.

Within the 4 walls, I have installed 1 thermometer, heater, air pump and top UV light in a bare bottom tank with 2 spawning cone.

Water parameter:

Temp @ 28 to 30 C at all time
PH @ 7.0 to 7.4
Amonia @ 0 (Daily water change)

This set up housed the following discus:

1 Adult Snakeskin
10 2" Golden Leopard Snakeskin - Intermediate
6 3" Spotted Snakeskin
1 4" Rose Red
3 2" Spotted Super Melon
2 3" Pure Golden
4 2" Golden Snakeskin

Total of 27 discus and I am a Snake, Spotted and Golden Luver....

Routine daily meal consist of:

Morning - Frozen Bloodworm
Afternoon - Tetra & Sera Bits
Evening - Goat Heart Recipe (Prior to 70% water change daily)
Supper - Tetra & Sera Bits

* Every water changed will be added with API Water Conditioner and salt.

All the fishes appear to be happy and healthy with the environment and one may observed that they are growing well. Until last week!!!

I noticed 1 of the Spotted Snake had both the gill cover open wide and you may see the gills.....Panic strikes in. Not sure if I am paying more attention to the gills...noticed a few of others had a similar problem but not as severe (gill cover opening not as wide but you could actually see the gill). Ohhh gosh, how I wish this would not had happened.

Started calling the Masters around and took the following actions:

1. Short bath with Potassium Pemanganate for the tank
2. Treatment for internal parasite follows (Ocean Free Anti Internal Parasite)
3. Only 1 feeding with frozen bloodworm per day dip in Anti Internal Parasite)
4. They are being treated with Anti Fungi for the 2nd day today and will change 100% water tomm.
5. Salt bath at the same time with 1 teaspoon for 10 gal of water together with Anti fungi
6. Temperature had been increased to 32 C (lol fishes still appear to be active)

Ohhh gosh....as of today, the only 1 obvious gill cover exposed have yet to close but the rest seems to hv some improvements.

Questions:

1. What is your advice for my next step of action to this particular 1 fish? Should I quarantine her? If yes, what other treatment would you advice?
2. I am still in the dark for the cause of the disease as I have done my level best to provide a suitable environment for their growth. Any idea? What do you think is the problem - parasite or bacteria? Should treatment be effective, would the gill cover close back?
3. Do you guys practiced regular treatment as a proactive measures? If yes, what treatment would you advice?
4. Should I do away with the bottom tank filter? Would appreaciates should you care to elaborate why.
5. How else can I provide a better environment for my discuses to grow healthier? Based on the tank set up, feeding methodology, water parameters and etc...please feel free to share your point of view.

Lastly, I would appreaciate those whom have read till the end of my post as most post were quite short....as my nick says it, I m eccentric..

Thx in advance for your valued feedback.....

Eccentric .... Signing Off

fishgeek
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
i dont keep discus so could be way off the mark

depending on size (and i see most of your are relatively small) 27 discus in 600 litres of water sounds a lot

could oxygen be an issue?
usually larger fish will show oxygen deprivation signs first and generally they will be seen piping(breathing at the surface)
you dont say you add CO2 so that shouldnt be an issue

otherwise the standard answer for flared operculae are generally gill related and the most accurate course of action would include gill smears and sample for microscopic examination
this would allow yyou to avoid the polypharmacy that is being emplyed now
most common/useful therapy may include praziquantel and antibacterial options

andrew

elvip
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 01:55 AM
Hi,
I would suspect gill fluke and treat accordingly - do you have Waterlife's Sterazin avail in your country??

Also as fish geek suggested - make sure you have sufficient oxygen in your tank - as you have quiet a few fish and the temp is at the higher end of the scale - a simple air stone(s) may help.

Good luck and keeps us posted on how you go.
Cheers
Elvip

EccentricDiscusLuver
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 05:26 PM
Thx fishgeek and elvip for taking your time to prost a reply...

I don't hv CO2 in the tank and a dedicated pump for the tank. Thus far, there were no signs of insufficient O2 in the tank. I am mindful of the total number of fish as I am planning to grow this out to be my breeding stock. That explained as to why I hv invested quite a sum for this group of fish.

Currently, I have additional 1 breading pair that just had 3 days old fry in breeding tank. Hope it will work out find (wish me luck ok).

Meantime, I have additional 3 (2 feet tank) ready just in case they have grown out in the community tank.

Update of treatment:

After 3 days and anti fungi treatment along with feeding of Anti Internal parasite at the same time all the fishes appeared to be healing except for the only 1 spotted snakeskin still appear to hv gill cover opened.

After seeking advise from another master, I have proceeded with the following action steps:

1. Continue treatment with Ocean Free (T4) Gill Flukes treatment for the last 2 days.
2. Turned off the heater and temperature were maintained at 28 C for the last 2 days.
3. Don't feed them during the treatment to allow the gill to heal??? Hopefully they can tolerate at least anther 3 days without food!!

At least, just check on the Spotted snakeskin and it appear to have some improvement.

Eccentric ..... signing off

EccentricDiscusLuver
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:29 PM
hi mate, you have just pointed out a simple truth that I may just have overlooked. Yearhhhh....O2. Fortunately, I have an extra air pump and some airstone (haha...its good to be proactive) and followed your advice by immediately adding in the additional air stone.

Should this work, I really owe you a BIG favor mate. Do let me know should you visit Malaysia and I shall bring you to visit few of the breeder around town.

Eccentric........signing off