PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested?

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:08 AM
Hi all,

For quite some time we have been thinking about taking a trip to Malaysia/Penang to hand pick our future breeding stock and establish relationships with some of the better known Asian breeders.

We were wondering whether there would be any interest from Discus breeders and keepers here if we went over there and hand picked stock for resale. As we would be going there ourselves we would be able to source specific strains that people are wanting to buy. This would not be a monthly exercise but probably something we would do 2 or 3 times a year.

It may be a situation where stock is far less expensive than some suppliers too, we do not intend turning this in to a business opportunity, as long as we cover costs we'll be happy and especially as we will know what we are getting for our hard earned dollars.
MAC

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 02:55 AM
Sounds good MAC. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest from the members.

biggie1985
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 07:50 AM
I'd love to go on a field trip like that.

What sort of cost are we looking at though?

cheers

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:02 AM
Hi Biggie,

We were talking about us going over and hand picking stock ie MAC, his fish partner and the spouses lol. However, the more the merrier, perhaps we can turn it in to one helll of a get together. You bring the dry ginger and I'll take care of the JW! For God sake don't forget the ice!
MAC

samir
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 08:26 AM
i think thats probably one of the only ways some decent quality Discus will come to our shores.

biggie1985
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:23 AM
haha

i think that'd beat the school trip to the museum?

lol

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry Biggie, I didn't realise you were under 18, Solo it is!
MAC

Xtreme
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:36 AM
Oooo can we come?!!! Never left the country yet, lol would have to get a passprt even! How exciting!! :D

Proteus
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:40 AM
Oooo can we come?!!! Never left the country yet, lol would have to get a passprt even! How exciting!! :D

Yeah right, given your complaining on a 1 hr flight to Brisbane I can really see you on a plane for over 8hrs... lol :P

Count me in...

Xtreme
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
Can't help if it there are gigantic atomtic bombs exploding inside my ear drums, now can I? :P

scott bowler
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:53 AM
i would like to be part of it

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:17 AM
Now this could be fun! Organized correctly what a buzz, X amount of Australian Discus breeders/keepers descending on Malaysia for a p*ss up, sorry buying trip with the odd wine thrown in. Is it possible? I think it maybe.

Come on Rohan, you said you had plenty of time on your hands, didn't you? Organize, organize.
MAC

madaboutfish
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:05 AM
MAC,

I would certainly be interested in getting some good stock for breeding. I am finding it very difficult to get good quality discus here in Austalia.

Nick

biggie1985
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:22 AM
narr mate not quite under 18

LOL... pretty far from it actually

It's just one of the more memorable :lol: trips you have

Cheers

mistakes r crucial
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
LoL then Biggie, Solo or red cordial for you for quite a while then. Don't worry about it, you're not missing much anyway.
MAC

norto
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
MAC,
I would be very interested, I would not be able to make it myself(business commitments) but I would be interested in a different strain or 2 in my tanks.
Norto. :)

elvip
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
Count me in!!! :D
My ideal trip/ potential job (I wish!!).
Either way - I'd be interested in going or obtaining some of the more unusual varities of discus not readily avail here in Oz.
Please keep us posted with any potential developments on this.
Cheers
Elvip

Robdog
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:01 AM
Well I'm not here to **** spiders! Count me in for some details. Why don't we go the whole different direction and go on a collecting trip out of Manaus or Santarem. And I'm only half kidding about that!!

Can't help if it there are gigantic atomtic bombs exploding inside my ear drums, now can I? :P

Ummm if she makes it through the X-ray machine, bags not sitting next to Rebecca! :lol:

chris
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hi Mac sorry to jump into your thread mate, Im going to singapore next year, do they have any good breeders there, and am I able to bring any fish back with me or do I need some sort of license?

mcloughlin2
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi Mac sorry to jump into your thread mate, Im going to singapore next year, do they have any good breeders there, and am I able to bring any fish back with me or do I need some sort of license?

You need a export/import licence :?:

You also need to have a quarantine facility as all fish imported need to be quarantined.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 07:49 PM
In Singapore you have Mr Roy Khoo, you simply can't go wrong, he is one of the best breeders in the World.

To bring in fish from overseas can be expensive if you are only thinking of a few fish, the quarantine and AQIS fees are not cheap so to make it worth while you need to split it over at least 80-100 fish, more if possible.
MAC

Liverpool_pete
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 01:53 AM
Depending on cost i would be more than interested in getting some new stock.

please keep me informed.

Thanks

Peter

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:02 AM
some of us need males that look like this :wink:

G-1000
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:45 AM
Hey Samir,

I have a "RGD" which if you fed it ridiculous amounts of carophyll pink you could make it look like that.

No wait - thats underhanded business practices isnt it? LOL

G

G-1000
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:47 AM
Nigel,

I am sure if your idea went ahead that Xtreme might be interested in taking part.

If so, there is a whole bag of fishies I want from the asian region - I will even send you a bottle of your favourite scotch if you can get them for me :)

G

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:52 AM
i meant a red melon male that has the same colouring as the females. personally i have never seen one, but they do exist, about 1 in a 100 from what I've heard.

ozarowana
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:14 AM
Samir do you mean red melon or rgd?

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:17 AM
i meant red melon, but as we now know after some input from Forrest the RGD males suffer from the same lack of colour down the middle.

mistakes r crucial
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 03:22 AM
Hi G,

It is on the cards that's for sure. We need to continually update our own breeding stock so I thought it would be a good fit to be able to supply other breeders/keepers with quality fish. It's going to take a while as I want to make sure we are dealing with the right people.

The other driving factor in all of this is that the Sunshine Coast may well be able to have quarantine rooms up here before too long from what I'm hearing which would make life a whole lot easier.
MAC

chris
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 04:45 AM
Do I need a license to bring fish in how much $ are we talking?

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 05:05 AM
yes you need an import permit and a premises approved by aqis. you also need to do an online course that will allow you to enter that premises. then add freight , duty, agent charges etc etc. turns out quite expensive. it would be much cheaper for you if you asked someone like Extreme to get it in for you

ozarowana
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 05:40 AM
I have 2 definate red melon males from 5 fish I purchased and know of a few others. Their colours are the same as the females.

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 05:51 AM
the ones i've seen look more like this. :?

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 05:54 AM
my male had colour when it first came, but after a while with no colour enhancers all the fish are more orange and the male is much lighter round the middle. exactly the same with my marlboro pair.

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:02 AM
Here's a pic of Nicholas' pair from his album.

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:02 AM
Here's a pic of Nicholas' pair from his album.

ozarowana
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:04 AM
Interesting! Didn't know they were that rare.

Maybe it's a different lines thing.

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:12 AM
do check out lucky tropical, the're impossible to deal with via phone,fax or email but they do have some good strains of discus. oh one more thing about Malaysia, I've heard the flight comes in a bit late and its a bit of touch and go with getting them to quarantine before they leave for the day.

ozarowana
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:15 AM
male in front

mistakes r crucial
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:21 AM
Very nice Oz.
MAC

samir
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:25 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: thats a lovely fish.
here's my pair, thats how the male looks with no colour enhancers. when he was on colour bits he was red throughout.

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:30 AM
Added to that Chris, you need to have your fish shipped by a registered shipping agent. You can't simply go to the airlines and book your fish onto a flight to Australia. A representative from AQIS has to meet the shipment at the Australian airport for an inspection. Then the fish have to be transferred to a quarantine holding facility, where AQIS perform more inspections during the quarantine period. The amount of red tape involved is going to be daunting.

You will be much better to talk to someone like Rebecca from Xtreme Aquariums in Sydney, who are getting fish shipped in all the time. Or why not tell MAC what you're looking for, and he can source it for you in Malaysia. MAC knows his fish, and I would certainly trust him to pick a good quality specimen.

scott bowler
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:30 AM
hi guys oz those fish are awsome dose anyone know were i can get some like that? samir your fish are nice too good pics

ozarowana
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys.

Scott they're from Roy Khoo stock and there are a few people breeding them, but they're not widely available yet.

Samir, I don't give them as much colour bits anymore either.

I got an RO unit about 1.5 months ago and they're raising their first spawn.
M

mistakes r crucial
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:57 AM
Hi Oz,

What did you buy those as from Roy, what strain name did he give them, they look quite different to my reds.
MAC

mistakes r crucial
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
As you are all talking about reds I have some great looking female Roy Khoo solid reds just sat here doing nothing after the latest fiasco we have had getting males for them. I may well have sold a couple today but still have 3 and I'd rather lend them out, do a deal on fry, whatever, anything is better than see them swim around until they need walking sticks and frames so if any experienced breeder has males and no females give me a hoy. I'm sure we can sort something out.
Cheers
MAC

ozarowana
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
MAC they were purchased as red melon, although I didn't get them direct. They did have yellow heads when they were younger, but then just went all red.

That is also a very generous offer from you. :D

mistakes r crucial
Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:02 AM
I just hate to see waste Oz.
MAC

stonedavid
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:30 AM
Hey Mac, yeah would be interested in getting some new strains and some old strains myself, just come back from a buying trip down south and was a little depressing seeing the sub quality in some of the discus. If i had more time and in the area wld have dropped in and see what you had available, wld have been alot better selection and quality from you matey. Let me know when and where should anything eventauate. Thxs Pete

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:02 AM
Hi David,

It will be happening mate, we've already made that decision but it won't be until March/April next year, too much going on here to get there before then. Drop in anytime you like, be good to meet you.
MAC