PDA

View Full Version : Lighting for Discus?

mas77
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 11:10 PM
What is the thresh hold for keeping Discus? I want to stay low tech. Right now I have 2.25wpg, and planing to get 3wpg. For my plants, will that be too much?

I think there should be a Sticky on this subject. For us new guys.

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:04 AM
Welcome to the forum mas77. I've repeated your post in the Amazon Gardens forum. I think you may get more answers there :P

duck
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:16 AM
If you want to stay low tech the stay with what lighting you have,If you go up to 3 WPG you need CO2

mas77
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 04:09 AM
At this point shuold I be using Excel? Or will that be the start of "high tech"?

Nathan
Wed Nov 15, 2006, 07:57 AM
i dont find excel does a whole lot, youd be better off going with the pressurised co2 an upping the wattage.

youl get much better results doing than then using excel

antwan
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:09 AM
If you go up to 3 WPG you need CO2

I don't believe this. You don't NEED CO2 with that lighting, I have 1WPL on my tank at the moment with no CO2 or ferts and it's doing great. CO2 would definitely make your plants grow better, along with the ferts, but it isn't a necessity.

duck
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 06:44 AM
mas77 are your plants growing? or do you want to do something special?
If you are happy with the way thing's are i really wouldn't worry about adding more light's,I think you'll be fine not dosing excel,If you do dose always helps,you could rig up a DIY CO2 which will make it cheaper in the long run.

If you go up to 3 WPG you need CO2

I don't believe this. You don't NEED CO2 with that lighting, I have 1WPL on my tank at the moment with no CO2 or ferts and it's doing great. CO2 would definitely make your plants grow better, along with the ferts, but it isn't a necessity.
Well done.

mas77
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:59 AM
My tank has only been up for 7-8 days now and Algea is starting to get a foot hold. Thats what the Excel would mostly be for. As I have read on other forums that it can help keep it in check.

And aside from the BBA? on most of the roots of the Java, 2 of there roots have 1/8"(2mm) of gorwth and the other has taken a firrm grip to the driftwood. The Crypt stems are bending upward near the substrate. The Micro Swords are thriving. The Amazon doesn't look very good.

Is this encuriging?

AQUAMX
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi mas77

Given the information provided the plants you keep do not require higher light. These plants all do very well in low-mid light. I would be looking at the types of tubes you are using iver simply trying to add more light.

2 examples i can give you are on 2 tanks i have at home. Both are 4x2x2 tanks and both only run 2 tubes. As i have wild caughts i needed a light that would grow plants well but at the same time provide a subtle environment as to create as little stress on the fish as possible. On one i have 2x38w t8 phillips aquasky and on the other i have a 2x55w t5 unit running planta tubes. To be honest, i can not fault either. Both tanks contain mainly val nana and dwarf kimberly val and are growing beautifully. Using these tubes concentrates on plant growth and therefore the plants require less tubes as a result.

I will confess that using plant only tubes does nothing for highlighting fish color. This is where people are turned away. But if my aim was only to highlight the fish color then one would simply need a single fluro that is designed to bring out the color and do little for plants.

In regard to your plant growth this will take time. It may take weeks for your plants to settle in their new water conditions. Many overlook this when buying plants and setting up for the first time. Plants whenever moved need time to adapt to their new conditions and this takes time. Any sign of new growth once in your tank is a great sign.

Be patient and allow the tank time to settle.

Cheers