PDA

View Full Version : velvet remedy

jazz
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:16 PM
I am quite new to discus and have been helped incredibly by the volume of info here so I thought to share a recent success story. I have 4 discus as well as some other groovy cohabitants and about a week after her arrival my fire leopard developed what looks like velvet ( my understanding this is a lighter sprinkling than ick?). I am an herbalist/natural remedy gal and quite bummed at the thought of putting lots of meds in the tank, quarantining, etc. I happen to have a colloidal silver generator since I use it for myself whenever ill. After reading online that at least it shouldn't reak major havoc in my aquarium I decided to take a shot. Please note, a lot of people are uncomfortable with CS but since I have a lot of positive personal experience it was more palatable for me. Also note, I read a lot of reviews online where people stated the CS had helped stave off secondary infections but not rid the velvet itself. Most of these folks noted purchasing commercially prepared cs and administering very small doses. Since I have a generator so my cost is bupkus, I added 3 qts the first time and have since added 1 quart with each regular water change. The velvet has completely cleared from the fire leopard and no other fish show symptoms! AND NO EFFECT HAS BEEN NOTED ON MY BENEFICIAL BACTERIA (no ammonia spike). Some of you might want to look into getting a basic generator ( about $50) since CS has so many applications not just for fish and pets but us people too!

fishgeek
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 09:39 PM
there is no scientific proof for any medical claims of benefit from colloidal silver

over use of these products can cause tissue discolouration and neurological issue's

it has been used for antibacterial effects, all of which can be attained with safer medications and more sound scientific understanding of effects and side effects

andrew

jazz
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your 2 cents Andrew! Isn't it nice that we live in a world with options and where we can each come from differing perspectives and enjoy our aquatic friends all the same? As I stated, some folks are not comfortable with CS but for those SEEKING alternative solutions, it's helpful to hear from others what has worked for them. It's certainly easier and perhaps faster - definitely more straight forward to buy an already prepared and approved treatment . When folks want to do that and it eradicates their problem- Great! But in some instances there are folks like me who would like another option or there are resistant infections. If a fish is going to die from an infection that the "approved" medicine for whatever reason hasn't eradicated, I would be thrilled to try something else- and what difference would the arguable neurological side effects make if the fish were dying anyway? There is a host of data available on both sides of the fence in terms of efficacy. I personally judge things by their fruits. and the fruit for me has been quite good! I'm not trying to get into a controversial debate, just provide some personal experiential info. I've personally used CS for years, both with myself, my children and all range of pets, treating bacterial, viral and fungal infections, with no neurological or discoloration issues. But again, that's just my experience. I have no vested interest in whether someone tries it or not. Thanks for being an obviously concerned and involved member- a credit to the forum even if we do have differing approaches!

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:26 AM
A very warm welcome to the forum jazz, and thankyou for passing on your experience.

As you can see, we enjoy lively debate on our forum, and all points of view are encouraged.

Again welcome, and we'd love to see pictures of your tank.