PDA

View Full Version : Fungus Eggs

chris
Sun Nov 12, 2006, 09:59 AM
My pair of Golderns are now laying eggs regular but, all the batches have fungused up.
He is proven, but she is not yet. He is probably close to four years, she is maybe two?.
Obviosly practice makes perfect, but I remember reading on here about meth Blue, what is it, how does it work, any info would be greatly appreciate. :P

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 04:23 AM
Chris, you can use meth blue added to the water to prevent the eggs from getting fungus, but you must add it the day the eggs are laid, and no later. As the eggs begin to hatch into wrigglers, remove the methylene blue from the water using water changes and adding carbon to your filter. This will give the parents a chance to develop slime coating in the next day or so, in time for the wrigglers.

There are risks with meth blue, and I think it would be much better if you try making your water more acid in an attempt to prevent fungus. Slowly bring it down to a pH of 6. Also make sure the breeding tank and cone have been fully scrubbed with salt prior to adding your pair.

HTH