PDA

View Full Version : A little bit pinched...

Robdog
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
I guess I'm lucky that I don't spend a lot of time in this part of the forum but I may finally need some advice or second opinion.

One of my Red Alenquers is looking a bit crook at the moment. She has been eating like a pig since the day I got her but lately she has been getting thinner and thinner. First around the belly and then forehead and now starting to look a bit anorexic(sp?) Maybe she thinks she is a supermodel. In the last day or so I have noticed that her fins are getting a bit ragged. I'm suspecting that she has a good case of worms and it may be a fairly advanced case.

I have some Prazi, a little bit of metro, some Epsom salts and a 20L hospital tank. What should I hit her with??

Merrilyn
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:30 AM
None of the above Rob. You need some levamisole. Sounds like roundworms to me.

Dose rate is 1 ml per 7 litres of water, with a repeat after 7 days.

You can quite safely treat the whole tank. They will all benefit from a dose, and it won't affect your bio filter.

samir
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:30 AM
I'd say feed all the fish in your tank exclusively with a metro mix for at least 3 days. If you cannot find any levimasole you can pick up some off me.

Robdog
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:42 AM
I was afraid you were going to say that LR! It's probably the only one I don't have.
Might have to duck out to Dural 2moro and get some. Anyone know the name of the place out there?? I think it's behind Macca's

Robdog
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:49 AM
Just found out that they are closed on w/e. Bugger.
Where you at Samir?

Dee
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 04:04 AM
Heya Rob,

If she is eating well and still thinning out, I would say Merrilyn has hit the nail on the head ... round worm. A pic would be handy mate. If she's not eating well or at all I would be reaching for the metro.

Best of luck with her !

Cheers,

Dee.

Robdog
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 07:21 AM
Well I've been treating her with Levamisole for 24hrs now in her own little 20L tank. No evidence on the base of the tank that she has expelled any worms. She doesn't look any better but she doesn't look any worse either. When should I do a water change and how much?

Merrilyn
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:16 AM
You can do a water change 48 hours after the start of the treatment Rob. What are the droppings like. Are they normal dark colour, or is there any slime in them?

Repeat the treatment on the 7th day to clear the sytem of all worms and eggs.

Robdog
Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:46 AM
I haven't seen her poo at all. Not in this tank and not in the main tank either. Consider me on poo patrol now tho

Robdog
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 02:23 AM
Just an update. She has survived the treatment fairly well and I've returned her to the main tank. I fed her with some pellets towards the end of the treatment in the hospital tank and didn't notice any droppings at all throughout the entire period of isolation.
She has been a little out of sorts for the last 2 days since being reintroduced into the other tank. Hiding in the corner in the dark and generally keeping to herself.
Today she is much more active and back with her fella and participating more in feeding time. She still looks very skinny which is a worry. I'm just going to concentrate on fattening her up for a while I think. :?

Robdog
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:29 AM
Just a little update on my little sick Alenquer.
It's been about 3 months now since the first post here and I have to say that she has not progressed at all. In fact she is still very skinny and her fins are grdually getting more torn and ragged by the week. She has turned a very dark colour and has given up swimming with the group and her partner who occasionally tries to get a response from her.

It looks like this could be the end of the road for her and I'm considering letting her go for a swim in the freezer. :cry:

Does anyone know of a fish-friendly vet in the Sydney area (lwr north shore if possible) that I could take her to for possile post mortem. I'd love to find out exactly what was the problem.

samir
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:50 AM
http://birdvet.com.au/frame.htm
I suggest take the fish while its still living, there's some instructions on the site on what to take with you