PDA

View Full Version : Film/scum on water surface - how to get rid of?

enigmatic
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I've just run up another tank with some ADA Amazonia in it.

There was quite a bit floating on the surface of the tank after I set it up. I skimmed most of this off with a net but there is a film/scum on the surface.

To some extent, this reminds me of petrol on water (I sure hope it isn't :lol: ).

How do I get rid of this as it doesn't look nice and I think it is impacting the lighting of the tank.

Cheers,

Chris

Nathan
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 11:42 AM
water change, an clean the filter!

RJ_Archer
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 08:04 PM
i had the same problem. all i did to get rid of it was do a water change, but hold the hose close up to the surface so it sucks the stuff up.

FishLover
Sun Nov 05, 2006, 09:55 PM
Another way to get rid it is to create enough water surface movement. Use a power head if you have to.

enigmatic
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the input.

I've done a water change, I've dropped the water level so that the return from the filter is disturbing the water surface and I've also dropped a load of plants into the tank.

All up, the film/scum is going so I'm making progress :lol:

Dupe
Thu Nov 23, 2006, 02:32 PM
I had the same problem and tried all the cures mentioned here with limited success. Put a Fluval surface skimmer on attached to my 405 and within a day the problem was solved. It's an inexpensive part and aside from having to initially adjust the level of the skimmer very easy to use. I found that setting the level at the highest point where it still draws water to work best. The skimmer cap can easily be removed when feeding so as not to suck food into the filter. It works!

enigmatic
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 08:09 AM
I had the same problem and tried all the cures mentioned here with limited success. Put a Fluval surface skimmer on attached to my 405 and within a day the problem was solved. It's an inexpensive part and aside from having to initially adjust the level of the skimmer very easy to use. I found that setting the level at the highest point where it still draws water to work best. The skimmer cap can easily be removed when feeding so as not to suck food into the filter. It works!

Thanks for the advice - I'd try this but the Eheim unit is pretty expensive compared to the Fluval. Might have to put it on the Xmas list :D

I've still got some kind of film on the water surface several weeks on and after some pretty serious water changes. It isn't as bad as it was but still there.

Bill T
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:17 PM
I've got a couple of spare fluval surface skimmers. They work a treat - I don't use them any more, relying on surface agitation, wc and increased filtration. Would be happy to send you one for a nominal donation plus postage.

Chafule
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:05 AM
may seem weird but try putting some paper just on the surface of the water then lift it out... works for me when ever i have anything on my surface..
may only be a quick fix though.

Edit : Forgot make sure its ink free paper =]

enigmatic
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:40 AM
I've got a couple of spare fluval surface skimmers. They work a treat - I don't use them any more, relying on surface agitation, wc and increased filtration. Would be happy to send you one for a nominal donation plus postage.

Sorry for delay. PM sent.

enigmatic
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:41 AM
may seem weird but try putting some paper just on the surface of the water then lift it out... works for me when ever i have anything on my surface..
may only be a quick fix though.

Edit : Forgot make sure its ink free paper =]

Will give it a go - slick seems to come and go. Will try with either some kitchen towel or some old A4 paper I've just found.

sammigold
Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have this problem on a recently set up 2ft tank as well.... all my other tanks dont have this problem... I have been trying to work out what it is and the only difference with this tank is it doesnt have a glass cover (but then neither does my discus tank although it has a huge light which acts as somesort of cover I suppose...

I think maybe it is just everyday stuff from the air settling...(makes you wonder what your breathing in)

anyway, I will have to try these solutions... thanks

enigmatic
Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:59 AM
I got a fluval surface skimmer from Bill T but still haven't gotten around to fitting it yet.

I have however been running the Eheim air pump that I got from ASA and have found that the just the effect of the bubbles from the pump bursting on the surface are enough to get rid of the floating scum.

I've got the airstone furthest from the filter spray bar so a combination of the 2 are breaking up the surface enough to keep the surface clear.