PDA

View Full Version : woot :D

fish_r
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 02:53 AM
got my first batch of eggs last night, iv'e never had any fish lay eggs for me b4 so excuse the excitement :roll: my golden crystal and white diamond looked to me like they paired up the last cpl of days, but wasnt sure ?
then saw them hanging out @ my ozelot sword and just had a look when i woke up @ lunchtime :wink: and i have about 20 or so eggs on one of the large ozelot leaves :) the golden crystal seems to be gaurding them mostly, does this indicate the sex of it ? not sure which one is male and which is female ? any thing to look out for to tell ?
there in a community tank and from what iv'e read here the first few lots will die anyway.
getting another tank next week "4 foot" just deciding if to make it a dedicated breeding tank or if to rip my 3 foot down and make that the breeding tank and plant the 4 footer. and use that to put growing fish in ? decisions decisions ?

Merrilyn
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 04:22 AM
Welcome to the exciting and frustrating world of discus breeding :P

scott bowler
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 04:57 AM
hi fish_r all the fun has just begun good luck with it all keep us in formed scott

fish_r
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 04:31 PM
the eggs are gone already :shock: not sure if they fell off onto to substrate or were eaten by my other fish ? i did see one of my bigger bn's near the eggs...

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 06, 2006, 06:37 AM
Ohh that's a shame. Yep, BN will make short work of fish eggs, they just love 'em, especially at night when the parents can't see what's happening.

Well you may have lost your eggs, but your fish are giving you a big nod of approval with your fishkeeping efforts.

It's always nice to know that our fish appreciate all the work we put into our tanks :P

fish_r
Mon Nov 06, 2006, 03:08 PM
i recon my fish eat and live better than i do :P and another tank in a few day's so hopefully a cpl more discus to come too 8-) will leave the happy cpl to do there thing in the community tank for a few weeks and move em on when i'm all setup :)

wind54
Mon Nov 06, 2006, 04:36 PM
lol rob! i told ya u will want to breed these guys sooner or later. Hope all goes well mate.

fish_r
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 07:56 AM
u were right Phong :) "hope i got the name right" ???
got my new reinforced 48x18x20 tank last week so can now turn the 3 foot into a breeding tank and aquascape the 4 footer.
well got home from a shitty day @ work this arvo to find my 2 discus @ it again :) laid about 50-60 eggs this time :)
i'm thinking the golden crystal is the female ???
here's a pic and vid, sorry about the poor quality of the vid...
VIDEO
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/?action=view&current=DiscusSpawning.flv

scott bowler
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 08:11 AM
they look good fish_r hope you have luck with them and its good to come home from one of those days and find that scott

fish_r
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
thx scott :) definately made my arvo better anyway :)

wind54
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah i have a sneaky suspicion that the gc is a female. You got it to spawn with another yellow fish too. That is awesome...The male looks like his doing his job.

fish_r
Sun Nov 12, 2006, 07:54 AM
yeah thats what i recon, the other yellow fish is actually a white diamond that likes colour bits and breeders blend :lol:
they seem to be looking after the eggs a bit better this time, there still there.
pretty sure most are fertile too, cause there is about 5-6 white ones and the rest are like a jelly colour :)