PDA

View Full Version : AIR PUMP; how important it is to have one for your tank?

krich
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 09:44 AM
I've been thinking about removing this from my tank for while because the noise generated from it is unavoiable. Even the expensive one still don't cut it. How can you guy get away with this?

My 83 gallons tank contains 9 discuses and plenty of tankmate such as 10 blackneons, 6 angel fishes, 7 zebra danios, 1 clown loach, etc..Plenty of plants. Sound alot but it still doesn't look too crowded actually.

Cheers.

RJ_Archer
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:01 AM
as long as u have oxygen pumping in the tank, filter air pump etc they should be fine. i lost 80+ surinamensis this week cause the air cord fell out of the filter :cry:

Merrilyn
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:01 AM
With 9 discus and 6 angels, plus the tankmates, you're already at the top of your tank capacity.

I would certainly NOT remove your air pump, no matter how noisy it becomes.

There are several ways of reducing the noise, resting it on a piece of foam, wrapping it in a towel and placing it in a cupboard or box, or suspending it on the end of a thick rubber band, so it doesn't come into contact with any solid surface, thus eliminating vibration.

I'd try these simple methods first. I think removing your air pump would be a complete disaster.

mcloughlin2
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 12:39 PM
I'd say your tank is already too overstock. Test your water paremeters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

If it becomes too noisy, go buy a quiet model. They are very expensive but they are worth every penny! :P

Del
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 07:12 PM
krich try an EHEIM airpump - I always had an issue with noisy (cheap) ones in the past.

They are also not that expensive (depending on where you buy them...)!

DEL

FishLover
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 07:26 PM
whisper has some air pumps really reduced noisy level. You may want to check them out. They are really cheap.

I would reduce the stock level and remove the angles. That way you can remove the air pump as long as your filter return creates enough surface movement to allow gas exchange at the top.

Air pump or not, you are over stocking the 89 g tank. 9 full grown discus will require 90 g of water. You do the math. Soon or later you will have some serious problems, no matter how many air pumps you put in the tank. Air pumps can only put O2 in the tank. Overs stock has more than O2 to worry about. How often do you do water changes? You will need at least daily WCs just to remove the nasty stuff from the bio load.