PDA

View Full Version : Apple snails in the tank

wickerman
Thu Nov 02, 2006, 07:48 PM
Hi
anyone keep apple snails in with their discus?
I know ph under 7 will carode their shells,but my ph is 7...will this be ok?

will the fish when bigger,eat them?
:?

Merrilyn
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 05:35 AM
I keep apple snails in all my tanks, and they do a great clean up job. The discus will leave them alone, but if you have angels, they tend to keep annoying them till they make holes in the shell.

A lower pH doesn't seem to bother them at all. Mine still grow and breed quite happily.

mcloughlin2
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 12:42 PM
I can't keep em alive in my tanks.

They just curl in there shell and die - causing ammonia spikes.

sonflowerjoela
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 03:35 PM
do any of you have pics of your apple snails. I have some kind of snails in my tank I think they came off of plants not sure. I did not buy any. Just wondering do I keep them or what. They are doing a great job on algae. Do they hurt the plants? Mine are small but they are growing.

wickerman
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.snailshop.co.uk/assets/images/db_images/db_2003_0101asnailz00261.jpg

mines like this..you can get them in various colours.
Theres are 2 species,dont know the latin names...but the smaller of them dont eat live plants..the bigger ones will.

thay are real neat little things,always on the go and cleaning up

the smaller of the two fully grown are the size walnut.
the larger when fully grown are the size of a baseball

scott bowler
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 10:20 PM
hi guy i have red ram horns in my tank they are great they do a good job cleaning up and look nice too :lol: scott

sonflowerjoela
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 01:12 AM
That is the kind I have also. I did not know what they were. I didn't buy them there must of been eggs on some plants I bought. Do this kind harm plants?

scott bowler
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 04:46 AM
no they dont i dont have any worries with them they just do there job and clean up.and they look good to so ilove them too scott (oh they dont hurt my fish either)

Robdog
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 09:02 AM
I've found that the Red Ramshorns will breed a lot faster than the Apples and in time you'll be overrun with them and they'll look disgusting.

sonflowerjoela
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:09 PM
That is what concerns me Robdog. I didn't buy them they just showed up in my tank. And there are probably 20 in there now and I think they will obverun one day. Do you know how to get rid of them?

DiscusMad
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:42 PM
get a clown loach they love there snails over night they will be no snails at all

sonflowerjoela
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:47 PM
Will the clown loaches bother they Discus?

DiscusMad
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:51 PM
1 will be fine for a while but when it gets bigger it will out compet the didcus for food

sonflowerjoela
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:54 PM
thank you!

DiscusMad
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:57 PM
np

DiscusMad
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 03:58 PM
and if you get more than one they will play together and upset the discus as well

sonflowerjoela
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:31 PM
I read in a Jack Wattley book it was not good to put clown loaches or plecos with discus because they are nocturnal and will not let the discus rest at night when they are sleeping. You all may have know that but I didn't.