PDA

View Full Version : Importing Discus

africandiscus
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 09:49 AM
It seems that everyone you speak to is importing discus from Thailand or Malaysia. Everyone is trying to cash in.

I am tempted to buy, the prices are soooo good (starting at $15) and the colours are amazing.

any advise?

waynus
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 11:10 AM
main problem is finding someone who ownes an AQIS approved quarantine premise who is willing to rent some space to you. To paraphrase Elvis "Iv'e searched and I've searched but I couldn't find no place in Melbourne to do quarantine".
There is place on the Gold Coast who will. Where do you live?
Waynus

africandiscus
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 11:16 AM
I am not talking about importing myself, but about buying from importers and not from shops

flukes
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 11:35 AM
If you have the contact use it..

sunshinediscus
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 09:58 PM
psx2doctor,

I import discus although don't do the $15 type. My imports start around $45 but i only buy the better grades. No hormones or artificial color enhancers used and great shapes.

Rod

kevkoi
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 10:08 PM
Have you included the frieght and AQIS charges? $15 pretty much takes up freight and AQIS charges...... and what about paying the person who actually LOOKS after the quarantine room, does the water chages and feeds the fish while they are in quarantine for 2 weeks? :wink: The fish must then be FREE.. :lol:

After all the importing charges and red tape.... $45 is a very fair price to pay for good quality imported discus.

Remember, Australia has the strictest quarantine laws in the world... There is more red tape to cut here in Aust than there is anywhere in the world..... and yet surprisingly, Imported good quality discus from a few reputable importers (Like Rod, like G&S..... like SLS) are not that expensive.

kev

africandiscus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 12:32 AM
Dont shoot the messanger. All I am saying is you can buy discus these days for $15. The point I am making is that everyone is importing and putting pressure on prices.

I was at strictly aquarium on the weekend and they are selling baby discus (5-6cm) for $30 which is retail.

Trebs
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 02:48 AM
You certainly can import discus for some pretty cheap prices (before taking import costs/quarantine into account). There is however a very good chance the fish you get will not be of a great standard. If this happens then you don't really have a lot of recourse. If you buy retail then you can buy what you want and leave what you don't.
I have a friend who does some importing and has a AQIS facility. I've been round to take the cream of the crop before he on-sells them only to be left saying 'nice severums'. Also there is the DOA fish, discus plague, worms etc. If you buy retail you may very well have to deal with this but you can buy the healthy looking fish and the trip home should be easier than a plane flight from Asia.

Once you take all this into account buying retail may not be so expensive after all...

kevkoi
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 07:41 AM
SLS is selling entry point discus at $29.... 5-6cm Turqs, cobalts and pigeons. These are entry point fish to get ppl started in the hobby. After you buy these, can keep them alive, u will go for the much better quality fish..... Discus aren't all the same. :wink:

africandiscus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 09:56 AM
Sorry, would only buy from SLS during a closing down sale. Otherwise forget it. I dont trust the fish quality.

[Admin Edit] If you havent got anything to contribute other than to attack a sponsor, dont bother...

Your facts are totally incorrect and have no basis or foundation[/Edit]

Proteus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 10:37 AM
I was at strictly aquarium on the weekend and they are selling baby discus (5-6cm) for $30 which is retail.

You must have looked at the wrong fish...

S.A. sell there Discus for $65-$75 for juveniles (all of which I have seen are stunted) and larger ones for between $120 & $150 (all are Turqs, BD's)

As for quality, SLS has the best quality Discus of ANY store in Sydney, that I have seen.

I have 21 Discus in one of my tanks, several of which COULD be entered in the Discus awards later this year. Also, several, actually MANY members here will attest to the quality of the fish from SLS.

As for your other recommendations, you have to be kidding.

kalebjarrod
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 11:00 AM
if you truly belevie that you can get $15.00 quality imports i'd buy ten .

if you think SLS fish are not up to your perssived standards and you can buy better for $15.00 i'll take twenty.

but lets not hang crap on each other, i don't belive its in the intrest of the forum

sponsers allow us to hang here and have fun

tanks319
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 12:05 PM
I think this saying may apply in this case-

you get what you pay for!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth

Billy
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 01:02 PM
[quote]I was at strictly aquarium on the weekend and they are selling baby discus (5-6cm) for $30 which is retail.

You must have looked at the wrong fish...

S.A. sell there Discus for $65-$75 for juveniles (all of which I have seen are stunted) and larger ones for between $120 & $150 (all are Turqs, BD's)

yes they do sell baby discus about that price but the quality is really really bad!!

Proteus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 01:08 PM
I can only go on what I have seen at Engadine & B Hills, and the cheapest as of last Wednesday & Sunday was $65 (VERY stunted)

Although, Engadine had a very nice LARGE Turq there on its own... I was very tempted to do a rescue, but have resisted so far, for $150 I can get some very good quality fish, instead of one nice fish.

Billy
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 01:20 PM
what type of discus does SLS have ??
Seems like everyone is referring to SLS i probably go there to have a look

is it a big place ? from my memory it is not a big place rite, i havent been there for ages.

Proteus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 01:39 PM
small store in size...

HEAPS of tanks, from the floor to the ceiling, all over

flukes
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 01:57 PM
Ive seen the advertised $15 blue turqs selling in discus farms in Malaysia, first off thats $15 for the fish. Then you have import certificates, AQIS inspections, And also too maintain a QT room.

The only reason that places like SLS, and others can import and sell at such prices is because they have to import 100+ fish just too make it worth it.

Mate its not all peaches and cream importing, if it was then everyone would be doing it.

africandiscus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 09:43 PM
You can buy discus for $15-$20 in Sydney.

Proteus
Mon Sep 06, 2004, 11:13 PM
You can buy discus for $15-$20 in Sydney.

Not from a retailer...

...and if you could, I would hate to think of the quality and size (probably the size of a 20c piece)

Buying from private sources, or breeders, yes that price is realistic, but no retailer could make any return on those prices, that would effectively mean they would have to buy them for $3-$9... :roll:

Trebs
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 12:49 AM
My LFS often has locally bred turks for $25-30 which are small but very good quality. They only sell locally bred fish which means they only have 2 strains available. So if you want anything more than a turk or a pigeon then you are going to have to go elsewhere and pay more.

Personally I haven't seen any discus at SA that was below $50 and haven't been a big fan of what they get (It's a chain store and they all get different stuff so only going on what I have seen).

Proteus
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:33 AM
$25 to $30, yes... (that is twice the price suggested previously)

Breeders on here sell locally bred Discus, of a good size, for $30-$40 and they are good shape, and good quality.

Obvioulsy if you want something a bit more exoctic, you have to pay more.

Trebs
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:44 AM
Just chipping in with the cheapest retail price that will get you a decent discus.
What's the best way to contact these breeders? through the ADA?

Proteus
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:55 AM
Here... or through ADA members here and at association meetings...

wyldchyld01
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 11:22 AM
have just read some of the comments on this post :?

i have to agree on two major points, you get what you pay for and don't bag the sponsors (who incidently have done a lot for people on this forum in the way of advice and the trade in general)

if your into breeding fish then you do your homework and decide on what you would want to buy and hence others want.

my parents always said if you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything at all.

keep it nice

flukes
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 01:50 PM
Mate the thing is, most people dont realise what goes into supplying quality discus at a cheap price, with all the time having a smile on your face and doing the best for the customer.

Trebs
Tue Sep 07, 2004, 11:37 PM
True, importing discus is a risky business.