PDA

View Full Version : Help discus with white thread about the eye.

Rastoo
Thu Oct 26, 2006, 02:38 AM
On Sunday I picked up a blue turq, that I had purchased off an auction site.
The owner told me he had moved a couple of pieces of bog-wood from the tank a couple of days earlier, and this particular discus took fright and injured himself.
A day before I arrived he had treated the tank with Melafix, and Methane Blue, because the discus and developed a funcus growth where he beleives the scales had come off.
What I saw on Sunday was a small white spot.
5 hours travel later, I placed him in with my 5 discus, I was not too concerned about quarantine as he was in a tank with 6 discus previously.
I am now concerned as I see a thread like worm above his head about 1-2mm long.
I have read some information about flukes and are not convinced that this is what it is.
I am unable to take a photo as he is still not too sure of his surroundings.
Can anyone offer any helpful suggestions.

sammigold
Fri Oct 27, 2006, 06:28 AM
I cant really offer a suggestion of what this "worm" may be.... but I would like to make a comment about quarantine...

When bringing a new fish from anywhere you should quarantine it before putting it into a tank with your healthy fish unless you can be absolutely certain that it wont have any disease...

The fact that he was in a tank with 6 other discus does not mean that all of those discus did not have a disease or worms or even may be carrying some sort of parasite that is not visible to the eye. The new discus may still transport illness to your fish that they are susceptible to, something that the other discus may have become "immune" (for want of a better word) to.

That is just something to think about for the future.

At the moment I would keep an eye on your new discus. It could be some sort of Anchor worm, or is it a thread of fungus maybe... try putting some salt (cooking or rock) in at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres.. if it is a fungus this may help. HTH until someone else can contribute...

Rastoo
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:41 AM
I thought I would update this thread.
Whatever the white worm thingy was, it appears to have gone.
The discus has settled into the tank and spawned with my blue heckle.

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 03:52 AM
That's great news Rastoo. Thanks for the update.

sammigold
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:18 AM
I am so glad to hear that Rastoo! Congratulations on the spawn...

001casey
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:04 AM
does anyone know if tetracyline on its own can fix discus disease cause i am reluctant to drop ph to 5 and dose with metro as suggested...looking for alternative treatment if available Thanks Casey

001casey
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 11:07 AM
does anyone know if tetracyline on its own can fix discus disease cause i am reluctant to drop ph to 5 and dose with metro as suggested...looking for alternative treatment if available Thanks Casey