PDA

View Full Version : Blacke Water Extract/ Peat

sonflowerjoela
Wed Oct 25, 2006, 08:32 PM
Can someone tell me where to buy the peat or what specific kind that wont harm the discus?

Robdog
Thu Oct 26, 2006, 02:55 AM
Sera Super Peat has worked for me in the past.
Sera Super Peat (http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=107)

sonflowerjoela
Thu Oct 26, 2006, 11:26 AM
Can you buy this say at Lowes or HomeDepot or do you special order it thru aquarium supply place? :?:

Nathan
Thu Oct 26, 2006, 12:24 PM
Tetra black water extract.

worked really well for me

FishLover
Mon Oct 30, 2006, 12:28 AM
Lowes or HomeDepo may carry peat.lem is you have to make sure they are aquarium safe.

If you buy from fish store, they are not cheap.

What are you trying to use it for? Remember, it stains your water and make it look like tea.

sonflowerjoela
Mon Oct 30, 2006, 12:45 AM
I want to use it to lower ph in discus tanks. I don't mind the tea staining and I think they like it. I was trying to find out if you could use the kind the have at those stores or if there is a special kind just for fish. I found some at LFS here and it is expensive. How long do you leave it in the tank before you change it? I'm just learning all this stuff. Thanks for help.

FishLover
Mon Oct 30, 2006, 04:38 AM
Using peat to lower the pH will have limited affect. You need to have a lot of it and running for a long period, at least a day or two before put the water in the tank. If you have a water storage, you are OK. Just run the peat there for few days.

Puting peat in the tank filter will not have that much affect since you change water often for discus tank. If your pH is high, the amount of peat in the filter will not be able to lower it that much. Plus, your fish will have to deal with the pH up and down for every water change.

I used to use peat and found it was just too much work. I now use Discus Buffer to lower my pH down to about 6.3. It works for me. Some people don't like it. IMO, if you don't intend to breed your discus, you should be fine using Discus Buffer.

Some peat found at local stores may have fertlizer and other nasty things in it. That will kill your fish for sure. Just be sure that not the case if you trying to buy it from them. Buying from fish store can be really expensive. I don't think that is an option if your pH is high.

elvip
Wed Nov 01, 2006, 01:26 AM
Following on from this topic of peat moss:
I also have tried using peat to lower my pH for discus breeding, but found it doesn't last that long and needs changing regularly.
I am happy to use discus buffer to lower the pH, but as far as I am aware this won't soften the water - and you need soft water for breeding.
So my question is - is there any other way of softening water without the use of peat moss????
Thanks
Elvip

sonflowerjoela
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 06:42 PM
I bought one of those tap water filters. It makes my water soft. It was medium hard now it is soft. I'm really plesed with it. Not positive how economical it will be but I only have 72 gallon and 55 gal. setup now. So it should be fine. I know my discus seem to be happier and have better color.

FishLover
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:09 PM
What kind of filter is that? I would like to take a look and see how long it will last.

samir
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:43 PM
So my question is - is there any other way of softening water without the use of peat moss????

normal Sydney tapwater is fine. I can only think of a RO unit.

sonflowerjoela
Tue Nov 07, 2006, 07:56 PM
www.drsfostersmith.com is where i bought mine look under fish then tap water filter in search

elvip
Wed Nov 08, 2006, 12:44 AM
My only concern with using an RO unit is the amount of water wastage that goes with it - I believe that for every 4 litres that go in, only 1 litre comes out?! :shock:
I have a few tanks and some are large, and this would mean a huge waste of water - not such a good option for me; especially now with the water restrictions etc.
I was wondering if Seachem's Discus buffer will also soften the water as well as lowering the pH - the product info seems to state that it will - any thoughts/ideas on this???
Cheers
Elvip

sonflowerjoela
Fri Nov 10, 2006, 04:44 AM
Is this correct is there water waste with RO Unit??????????????