PDA

View Full Version : 4 x 2 x 2 ft tank arrived today !

weird
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:04 AM
Xtreme dropped off my 4x2x2 ft tank today. Wayne dropped it off. Very nice guy, very courteous and gave some excellent advice. Rebecca who I organised the tank with was great. Thanks Xtreme, I would recommend these guys to anyone. Great price, great service.

My back is killing me, spent 3 hours varnishing !

I keep telling my 4 little discus about their new home, I reckon they know. Shoot the tank is huge, 4 times bigger than their current dwelling.

flukes
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 12:16 PM
Congrats on the purchase xtreme do a good job of looking after there customers.

Proteus
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 01:52 PM
Excellent news...

glad you are happy with your new tank... now get yourself another couple of dozen tanks and give yourself your own postcode...

(I am currently deliberating between a 60 x 24 x 24 (5x2x2) or a 72 x 20 x 24 (6x1&2/3x2) )

:wink:

kalebjarrod
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 10:34 PM
Rock on,

show us some pics

i would like to see its setup in stages, even when it looks like a mess till its completion

africandiscus
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 07:22 AM
That is a big tank

Proteus
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 07:42 AM
You want a big tank...

:wink:

Xtreme have a 10 x 2 x 2 they are willing to sell at cost price

I will stick to my 6x2x2 & many others

(if only I had 10ft spare)

weird
Sun Sep 05, 2004, 12:46 PM
What a back breaking but rewarding weekend. Have now started cycling ... will add sponge filter from existing tank to try and speed up the process

africandiscus
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 09:10 AM
What filtration are you using on that monster?

weird
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:06 PM
A fluval 404, it seems to be up for it. Boy she really is a monster, the chicks get excited when they see it from its side ;)

I am in the beginning of cycling at the moment, but should have some new pics in a few weeks. The advice from the forum has been invaluable ;) Thanks guys.

kalebjarrod
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:10 PM
i like the tank,

she would have setteled by now, nice and clear?

hows the cycling going?

how about a front on pic?

is she gonna be a planted tank or B/B?

weird
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:27 PM
I am going through a bacterial bloom at the moment, so the tank is abit cloudy right now.

Kevs comments in a prevous post has got me re-thinking some of the plants too.

I don't have a pic I feel worthy of showing right now, but this might be better than my amateurish attempts, this tank is spellbounding ...

http://www.aquabotanic.com/contest2004/tank_44/Tank_44_Details.htm

kalebjarrod
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:31 PM
when your ready pics will rock

is that what you are aiming for ? a planted tank like that?

sounds like a plan

and by the way we are all ametuers, just some people get paid for it.

flukes
Sat Sep 11, 2004, 12:36 PM
Thats quiet a task, if your aiming for that tank. But if your like me and set goals that are quiet a lot of work then you should have alot of fun setting it up.

weird
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 12:09 PM
Ok this is an update of sorts, but no shots of the 4 foot tank. Guess what, I decided to go ... bare bottom , why cause I am relatively new to the fish hobby, and wanted big gorgeous fish, so decided to hold back on the 'planted display tank' until I am more experienced and confident . But the tank fish wise is getting there, my 4 juvs have moved in and are loving it (after 3 days of shyness) , they have 2 otos and 10 neons as friends. The neons will be doubling in number soon, and I am get excited about their wave effect when swimming. Already see glimpse of this effect.

OK, my original 2 foot tank on the left which was over crowded with the juvs now houses the 4 babies. Also you will see in this pic my community tank, and the new digital therometers I picked up from dick smith for $15.

Pics of the 4 ft soon, when it has more fish.

flukes
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:20 PM
Great choice too go bare bottom, for planted its aot easier if they are full gorwn. looks like you have the best of both worlds!!

Great thermostat, where did you get that from?

weird
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:22 PM
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4158228800a13c22273fc0a87f9c06b7/Product/View/Y5186

The heater is a Hagen Tronic 200w. ;)

flukes
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:26 PM
How much you pay for it, cant find it on the site.

weird
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:32 PM
ok flukes I am not sure if we are talking about the thermometer or the thermostat (which is in the heater).

The thermometer is only $14.95 from d1ck smith. But the heater was rediculously expensive for a 200w, like $60, I paided way to much but was in a rush.

Sorry for the re-edit, I found the packaging in the garage ... and geez I am sure in a past life I was a bloody fluval sales rep, it is a Fluval Tronic 200 w heater.

flukes
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:51 PM
hehe yeah just seems fluval is every where.

Thanks for that mate.

africandiscus
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:30 PM
The thermometer ooks great. I am off to d1ck smith at lunch.

africandiscus
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:56 AM
Is the plastic container on the floor for water changes?

weird
Fri Nov 05, 2004, 01:29 PM
The discus are very happy from moving from 80 litres to over 300 litres, the blue diamond I had which was sick when I got him has had a real growth (he is in the middle) spurt since moving into the 4x2x2 ...

Atm they are sharing the tank with 3 ottos, 6 botia ...

Will be getting a UV sterilizer this week (in the post), then next weekend off to get some major driftwood (with plants).

weird
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 01:56 PM
New additions rummynose, and 2 seasoned turqs from SLS ... also an instant garden which set me back $120.

Plans next few weeks, attach java moss to clay cave in middle. Have 6 clown loaches living in there.

Create own instant garden off large driftwood I have sitting outside in a bin of water at the moment to leech out the tannic acid (?). Will attach anubia and java moss to it.

Getting advice from plantgeek.com on how to do that. Anyone know good plant aquarium shops in Sydney ?

africandiscus
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:59 PM
Looks good, those babys are growing nicely

Davo
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:18 AM
Auburn Aquarium has a good selection of plants and the LFS at Manly is prtty good. You can also try online.

Dave.

chris
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:05 AM
They are excellent heaters I like your thermometer too. How many Discus are you putting in you said you have four..... Looks like more on the way?

kalebjarrod
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:45 AM
nice stuff dave

just attach the java moss with cotton to your logs, by the time the java has attached the cotton will perish. easy done :wink:

weird
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:49 AM
6 discus ... the tank feels pretty full, 6 discus , 6 clown loaches, 2 ottos, 8 rummynose (will be getting more soon ... lost 4 in the 1st 3 days ... hoping these guys will pass the 2 week mark ... they have bright red noses so I am hopeful).

I am erring on caution of over stocking ... but I added another piece of driftwood and tied a nice anubia and 2 pieces of java moss to it ... I dropped my digital camera ... I hope to get some pictures soon.