PDA

View Full Version : efectiveness and dosige rate of metronidozle

geo/discus breeder
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 10:29 AM
i have been told by dr Greenwood that metronidole would not cure fin rot i have had 1 discus die and the rest arn't looking too good

from this forum i have heard metro works fine to cure that type of thing

he also said use 20mg of metro for 20 leters of water
the other dose rates i have heard is 125mg for 20 leters of water

so i am going to just use it and see what happens hopfully not killing any more by too much metro

how much shold i use

*Chris*
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:13 AM
jim greenwood i s a knob i worked with him at AI
metro will cure hexamita caused finrot
the finrot itself is a secondary symptom of hexamita in the gut
but if it is columnaris (normal finrot ) then meth blue or multi cure will fix it
so dose them with metro for a week if no improvement then try meth blue or multi cure there is a sticky on metro and its dosages on this forum so have a read of it
chris

fishgeek
Thu Oct 26, 2006, 09:25 PM
i would have to agree with the statement that metronidazol is not likely to be effective against finrot

finrot , i belive to be generally associated flavobacteria columnarae and closely related bacteria
metronidazol is not the best option for treatment of this type of infection

useful therapies should include
cleaner water, higher levels of dissolved oxygen - often aided by a slight reduction in temperature
salt dips in the range of 1-5% and for short periods only as they can be dangerous in fish with damaged epithelium as is the case in finrot
and antibiotics either sulphonamides or tetracyclines would be the preferable first options

i dont believe name calling aids anything
and i do not believe that gastrointestinal protozoa are a significant cause of finrot
finrot is often an opportunistic infection associated with oor water quality

metronidazol dosage is 25mgs/l as a permanent bath repeated dose's every other day for 3 days
though i have recently been using it at 400mgs/l for short 15minute baths twice daily with no ill effects yet(only the first week of treatment) in apisto's

andrew

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 27, 2006, 03:53 AM
I agree with Andrew here. Metro is a very effective antibiotic for a number of diseases we encounter with our fish, but in the case of finrot, I wouldn't be reaching for the metro.

First thing I'd be doing is larger and more frequent waterchanges, and adding a specific fungus and finrot cure. Waterlife make excellent products, but they are just one of a number of very effective brands.

forrest
Fri Oct 27, 2006, 02:14 PM
for me,methylene blue works the best on fiin rot to me.large water change scoop the fish out with net n drop a few drop on the rotten part,put it back n add more M.B n salt into the water.

rgds,
forrest.