PDA

View Full Version : Yamato Shrimp and Discus

Trongpai
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 08:52 AM
I put 10 good size Caridina japonica in my heavly planted tank with Discus and Cardnal Tetras. The shrimp at first started cleaning the plants of algae but then when inspected but not eated by the Discus they moved very quickly to cover. Since then they have taken residence under a sponge filter and a set of rocks and are not cleaning anything other than the sponge filter.

I was feeding them a small algae/spirulina wafer that was carried to their hidding place but though I would stave them out to get to work on cleaning the plants and moss. Food or no food there not moving.

Any ideas?

nicholas76
Wed Nov 01, 2006, 08:56 PM
Id move the sponge and force them out! They might come out at night have you checked?

Trongpai
Thu Nov 02, 2006, 03:52 PM
I think they are day feeders. If they are coming out at night they are not cleaning the algae off the plants. I have noticed that the sponge filter free from algea as is that corner of the tank. One is 2cm long, the discus can't eat that but I guess the shrimp don't know that they just see some big fishes, yell yhepps and high-tail it to cover.

Del
Thu Nov 02, 2006, 08:54 PM
Was'nt sure of what these looked like so found a great site if you're interested... http://suiso.com/v2/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2

Trongpai
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks. This site says they are active at night. Some other one claims they are day feeders.

I did not pay much for the little bugs. I don't know if they were imports from Japan or if someone locally (Thailand) is breeding them.

I see them in planted show tanks all the time eating algae on plants and rocks but never with Discus or any large fish.

They sure like Hikari Algae wafers but carry them to their spot on the underside of a sponge filter.

Funny, the Discus also pick at the Algae wafers too. I did not know that Discus took to Algae. Looking at the contents there's more in them than just Algae. I guess they are good for discus?

FishLover
Fri Nov 03, 2006, 09:42 PM
My Discus pick on algae all the time. I also feed mine with some vigie flakes from time to time. It is good for them as long as you don't use it as their main diet. They do need something from the vigies.

If you feed your shrimps with Hikari algae wafers, they will ignore the algae in the tank. Why bother with the algae when there is a easier food and more tasty? I think there is MSG in it too. Don't know if that will make the shrimps hooked to the wafers or not. At least, MSG does that to people. It make things taste better. When you get the food without MSG, it makes them so tastless and you don't want to eat it. If you look at the TV dinners these days, 80 to 90% (or more) of them have MSG in it. That's why I don't eat TV dinners any more. Used to be that only Chinese/Japanness foods have MSG in it. Not any more.

Trongpai
Fri Nov 10, 2006, 09:14 AM
Your right MSG right there in the ingredidents, along with garlic and vitamins. I guess I am not alergic to MSG since they dump it in food here (Thailand) by the fist-full.

I noticed that all the Hikari fish food have MSG. TetraBits does not and my discus love them.