PDA

View Full Version : T5 Tube

StonX
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 06:29 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement T5 tube on my MH Kit. the kit is 2ft, but I've just measure the tube, its about 56cm long. Is that normal? I thought 2 ft is at least 60cm long.

On my case, Can anyone suggest what tube to get for planted?

Thanks

Skulljug
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 05:13 AM
I'm not too sure about the length thing - But I'm pretty sure they're standard sizes so you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm a big fan of the Sylvania Gro-Lux tubes, get brilliant results from them. They are a really red bulb though so it's best to keep a full spectrum with them as well (So your tank doesn't look red) but your MH should more than cover this : )

StonX
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 07:49 AM
Thanks Skull, I'm thinking of getting the Aquamedic planta tube. seems that those are the easiest to find.
Where did you get your sylvania grolux from?

Skulljug
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
I got them from an online store - Buggered if I can find it though - Will keep looking for it though.

So far I can only find one store with them but I think they only have the 12 inch ones - if your in brisbane have a look at www.aquariumsrus.com.au they just have this house packed with aquarium stiff - they may have them but it doesn't say so on the web site

In place of that I reckon any 6500k bulb mixed with some daylights should work well.

AQUAMX
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 06:32 AM
Hi StonX

Those tubes along with other brands such as sylvania, arcadia and sera are available from Boronia aquarium in melbourne. I see you are from melb so i thought i would let you know.

The sylvania tubes work a treat i must confess.

Cheers

fish_r
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:20 AM
are they T5 HO "high output" tubes cause thats what the aqua medic planta tubes are.
b4 u waste ur money i would check it out...
cause there are T5 tubes and T5 HO tubes.
from what iv'e seen in these MH lights they arn't HO T5
i would email ASA and ask em cause there prices are less than 1/2 the price of what Boronia Aquariums are :)
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=62
aquamedic T5 HO 150cm planta tube from boronia = $65
exactly the same tube from ASA = $26.95
hmmm what a mark up !!!

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:32 AM
Sylvania Grolux T5 Tube 24w (6500k) is approx 55cm long...

$20.95 on ASA

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 08:33 AM
FWIW, Aqua Medic tubes are made by Sylvania (made in Germany)

Grolux = Planta

In regards to pricing, lets keep things civil... shop prices and online prices are totally different. In most cases online you get no advice or assistance, although that is different for some. In a shop you usually get good advice etc etc etc

StonX
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info Aqua, I went to boronia a while ago however they don't have stock.

In the end, I ordered a couple from ASA as they have a really good deal. They were ship last Wednesday however ASA mixed up on my billing address and my shipping address. :)

Pro - I have sort them up with the courier myself, getting the tube delivered to my office tomorow. :)

Proteus
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:32 AM
Sorry bout that....

:ug

fish_r
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:33 AM
i was just pointing out the difference in both "online" prices. dont think i was being rude, just stating a fact...

Pauly
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 02:18 PM
This might be a silly question but do t5 tubes fit into normal fluro fittings ? (ie. the ones used to light warehouses & found on old tanks etc.) Also what is the difference between ho t5 and straight t5 ?

AQUAMX
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi guys

Pauly- no, t5ho tubes will not fit into regular fittings and are generally a higher wattage than regular t8.

Fish_r- No offence taken.
You could have simply said it is cheaper to buy online than state a specific store price however. No one expects a store to match online prices, and no one who knows what it takes to run a store would say that as they know the costs involved. Hopefully you have never purchased a brand name t-shirt :)

I was simply trying to offer him somewhere near his location that carries a large variety for him to choose from. Being a shop it is limited to stock and often sells out. Trying to get planta tubes i beleive has been a nightmare so now other brands are being stocked there.

Trying to get a good range of plant gear in one shop in Melbourne can be a challenge so i was trying to help the guy out. I would have said another shop but to be honest no others have the range and support regarding plant gear.

If i were to pay retail i would more than likely order online to, but as pointed out the support is often a little different when dealing with a website.

Hope no toes are tread on 8-)

fish_r
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:57 PM
ok point taken.
it just anoys me when u see shops making massive mark ups on goods IE : over 100% markups.
i work for a shop that does the same @ the moment, some things are over 200% markup now u cant tell me thats not ripping the customer off...
i have worked in retail/wholesale for most of my working life so i do know about expenses etc but some markups are way over the top, not just the shop i mentioned but in general...
sorry i shouldnt bag, but cant help my self some times :oops:

AQUAMX
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 07:55 PM
Hey mate dont worry about it.

I completely 100% know how you feel about this and i agree with what your saying but we have to let the shops do their thing. I too know exactly the markups in this industry along with others.

I mentioned the t-shirt thing as a family friend works for a large clothing company and i remember the day she told me the complete cost to manufacture 1 t-shirt. I almost fell on my a.. when i heard the cost.

These days you have a choice, so i guess people can decide which way they go. I have the same feeling as you do when i see someone hand over alot more money than they need to, but until you or i own our own stores we must learn to live with it.

Cheers