PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Flourish & Flourish Excel?

Del
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:09 AM
Have been dosing my 3ft planted tank with just Flourish Excel. Do I also need to use Flourish?

The Seachem Website says to use many different products (Iron, Phos, Nitrogen, etc) to keep a healthy planted tank.

Isn't there just one that I can use to do all this?

Thanks,

DEL

Del
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:33 AM
I currently use Seachem Flourish Excel, Flourish Tabs (for the roots) and Discus Trace at every waterchange.

My iron tests are coming back as 0 - even after dosing Flourish Excel for two days, as instructed on the bottle.

I do have some SERA Florena lying around, should I also be using that (then moving to Flourish when I run out)?

Thanks, DEL

pritch33
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:33 AM
hey Del the answer will depend on your tank if you are having problems with algae or the growth of your plants you will probablly need to add a mix of fertz depending on what is in short supply if you are happy with the growth and look of your plants then stick with whats working
if you have good growth currentlly you may find in time you get a defiancy and will need to had extra fertz but your plants will tell you somethings wrong

Ray

shake
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:39 AM
Depends if you use co2. Excel is sort of a substitute for co2. It is a source of bioavailable organic carbon. You don't have to use it if you inject co2, but I do as there are claims that it helps with keeping algae at bay.

I would recommend just use excel, flourish and trace. If you have a heavily planted tank with high light output and co2 then you may want to consider their NPK range also.

pritch33
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 01:40 AM
excel increases c02 although it may contain iron it will be in short supply that is why they make flourish iron
also if you are wanting to increase your iron content try yates brand chelated iron from nursery it works out a hell of a lot cheaper but you will need to play around a little to get dosage right try mixing a couple of teaspoon fulls into a 250ml bottle of water and shake well then using your iron test kit you can work out how much you need to add to increase to level you want
hopfully someone has a better idea of dosage rates to get required levels

Ray

Del
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 04:15 AM
Thought it might help if there was a picture of the tank...

Thanks Ray, I don't use CO2 as such, just the SERA "Start" tablets in the reactor every two days.

I don't have a problem with algae, just with my lotus (right hand side of the photo - very small I know) not growing and even the corkscrew val is rotting. I have just added the driftwood and plants (they have been in another tank).

I'm guessing it is an iron deficiency... from what my plants are telling me.

I have 3 fluro lights (1 marine white and 2 grow). Maybe not enough light?

Thanks Shake, I will get some Excel but in the meantime can I use the Sera Florena that I have?

DEL

pritch33
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 05:58 AM
i have found lotus to be a little slow at the start especially after a replant but they are a heavy feeder and probablly wouldnt hurt to put a little extra plant tabs in there vacinity

li ove lotus plants i just moved my green lotus and stupid me tore off half the roots so its on a bit of a downhill at the moment but im expexting to recover
also took the opatunity to cut in half wich hasnt helped :o

if your corkscrew is rotting you maybe planting it a little deep
Ray

Marinemom
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 07:10 AM
I think that your tank looks beautiful. If you are not having a problem with algae or the plants in general then you must be doing something right. I also use florish excel on three of my freshwater planted aquariums one of them being my planted discus tank. I also have vals in them that seem to be growing like I think quite a bit in just a very short time. You mentioned that your vals are rotting. Just as a point of interest Florish excel seems from what I have read and heard to have a negative effect on vals and can make them rot. However, I do not seem to be having that problem. Anyway, your tank looks stunning and the discus look healthy and georgeous. keep up the good work.

Marinemom

scott bowler
Sat Nov 04, 2006, 07:17 AM
tank looks good del nice fish