PDA

View Full Version : hair algea

Hedphelym
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 04:20 PM
i've tried for weeks to get rid of it,
less food
less light
got some tablets to put in water, does not help.

tried with this liquid-removal stuff aswell..

what can i do to get rid of it? it sits really hard to the plants..

fish_r
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 06:00 PM
becarefull using anti algae products are most are toxic to ur fish...
i think hair algae is from not enough co2...

Hedphelym
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 06:32 PM
i have a c02 system..

fish_r
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 06:54 PM
well what ppm are u running @ ???

Hedphelym
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:57 PM
ppm?

mughal
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 09:56 PM
I had loads of this algea overnight when i failed to start the CO2 injection after turning the lights on. A heavy feeding of CO2 will wipe it out quick.

Noddy65
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 02:12 AM
Over dosing on Flourish Excel will also help...do a Google search for the amount required...

Mike

fish_r
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 02:39 AM
ppm?
"parts per million of co2"
u should be somewhere around 25ppm to 30ppm of co2
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
if u have a DIY co2 system "sugar yeast mix" u are probably no where near this and thats why ur getting hair algae...
iv'e also read over dosing flourish excell can also help get rid of it too, but be carefull cause it can be dangerous to ur fish as well if u use too much...
SAE "siamese algae eater" can also be good at eating it, but make sure if u get em to get em small as they can be lazy when they get bigger and not eat it... also make sure u get genuine SAE cause there are ones that look pretty much the same but arnt SAE and wont touch ur algae...

Noddy65
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 03:10 AM
Oh yes..it can be fatal to fish but can also be fatal to some plants. Ive had issues with Vallis when using it and Im sure theres others.
Ive also lost Neon Tetras when I used it one time and then didn't lose any another time Ive used it (same tank, same dose). When the Neons died they were geriatric so I put it down to that.

Mike

DR.V
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 04:55 AM
hair alage = high phosphate

use phosphate reducer or do more w/c

DR.V
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 05:08 AM
A heavy feeding of CO2 will wipe it out quick.

Including your fish.

Hedphelym
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:23 AM
"hair alage = high phosphate

use phosphate reducer or do more w/c"

i'll go for this one first.that's the easiest thing to start with.

yes, i have a "diy" co2 thing.

i'll think about investing in something better then.

nicholas76
Sat Nov 18, 2006, 04:14 AM
hair alage = high phosphate

use phosphate reducer or do more w/c

spot on!

get yourself a bio zorb , phosphate zorb pouch for that cannister and up your w/c

AQUAMX
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 07:18 PM
Hi Hedphelym

I would like to add to this if i may.

When you describe 'hair algae' in what form do you have? Is it green, black or brown?

Hair algae/green algae is caused by excess nutrients in the aquarium. This usualy can take weeks to control and will only reduce once the excess in the tank has been consumed. You should take control of your fertilising, clean as you need and wait for the problem to naturally reduce.

Using chemicals can often do more harm than good by upsetting the balance of the tank further, including biological filtration etc.

Interestingly enough, it is quoted in many books by advanced plant keepers that this type of algae always appears easier in tanks with high water quality.

So always take the positives from the situation.

In regard to Excel. I have used the double dose method many times on various tanks including aquarium store tanks with great success. Never met fish loss from this treatement but it must be done strictly and not with a rough enough attitude.

I prefer to add the recomended amount after a large water change wether i am using pressurised co2 or not.

You need to find your own balance. This is not something anyone can type here for you as every tank is unique. A combination of natural algae fighters such as ottocinclus and glass shrimp, controlled fertilising( which should be done at a minimum and only extra at signs of deficiency) and correct lighting and temp procedures will ensure you a clean tank generally.

But again you need to find your tanks balance.

Good luck

Hedphelym
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 05:52 PM
thanx aquamx.

The hair algea is Black.

the algea remover i've used is Tetra aqua Algumin.
still no luck..

AQUAMX
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 09:12 PM
Ahh

Our favourite algae.

If it only appears in small amounts we can simply remove old leaves etc but it sure does not take long for this algae to overcome our favourite plant species and ornaments. This type can spread very quickly and is often stemmed by commercial fertilisers that contain a high iron content. I know when i dose to much iron and flourish at home i can trigger an outbreak in small numbers very easily. Again this stems back to nutrient control.

It is no secret that the most commonly used method these days is to double dose excel. I have done it, friends have done it and always had success. Sometimes continued treatment is required but it works. I have used this method in a shop display containing fish with no reported losses etc aswell as on friends tanks. It is not a cheap method but it is an effective one

The element that seems to starve the algea and cause it to die off is unknown as i have not been able to get a detailed ingredient list, no suprise though as i would not give it out either lol.

Once the algae is controlled you can continue using the product, perhaps only dosing after a water change at the require amount. Conitnue the required every secon-3rd day if you wish.

There is also a dipping method using a 5% bleach solution. You dip your plants for several seconds then rinse and it kills the algea. I have never done this and i would proceed with caution when attempting this. There are many walkthroughs on the net about this process but as i said i have never tried it.

I would perhaps start adding excel at the regular dose for a few days-week, water change then do a treatment of double dosing until the next water change. Please be aware that it is important not to get carried away, everyones plant loads and tanks are different, also people have delicate fish.

I would certainly advise trying to get your ferts etc in check and use this method as a last resort if the outbreak becomes bad.

Cheers