PDA

View Full Version : Power Failures........

parasite
Thu Sep 02, 2004, 09:58 PM
Hello all, just wondering how long the power could be out for before being detremental to beneficial bacteria (bio filter). Just wondering what u folks do when u do get a failure .. Thanks

flukes
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 01:29 AM
I would be more worried about the heater than the bio logical filtration.
Heat can drop in a matter of hours. For your filter you can get air pumps that work of batteriers. If you have a few tanks i would be investing in a small generator.

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 05:11 AM
if it is out for a while get some 1.25 sof drink bottles and fll them with water from your hot water system

it will stay hot for some time after the power failure and you can just drop one in tanke one out till the power comes back on

also invest in a space blankets and cover the sides of the tank to stop heat loss

if your at work and the power drops out, quit and go home :wink:

wyldchyld01
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:33 AM
i'm with flukes,

i have a generator (petrol run) to run the fish house, although i don't really have to worry about heat loss for a few hours my tanks are air driven so i invested in the generator for a couple of hundred, this keeps all my heaters, lights and air pump going until the power comes back on

we are prone to power drop out here and i have been looking on the net for a few varieties of setups that allow the generator to automatically kick in when power drops, there are systems that incorporate 12 volt car batteries etc to do the same thing.

can't remember the sites sorry but i'm sure google would have a list, maybe some other members may know of some links.

Brenton

parasite
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 09:54 AM
heating isnt a problem for me as i have gas heating in my fishroom and its completely insulated with styrofoam, might just have to invest in a generator for the air pumps and canisters and lights. thanks

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 12:12 PM
backup switchs are easy enough to find

they can just drop a airstone in or a series of heaters filters and everthing that goes push and shove

generators are only as good as the person turning them on

same as my ideas

i too would use a generator if i had many tanks, but i don't

plus the weather up here is that nice that a genertor would more likely be used to keep the fridge cool, not the tank hot

parasite,

go to your local fish and tackle shop and buy a airstone which they use for thier live bait tanks

$30.00 plus it only uses aa batteries, good for when you go fishin too!

flukes
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 12:41 PM
I wouldnt be too concerned about loosing bio logical filtration, in a power outage. Although i do have some AA battery power air pumps, i dont think it is a big concern. I have forgotten too turn my power head back on which runs my internal filter and havent realised for days sometimes.

Had no ill effects on the bacteria. Heating would be your main worry so if you have that worked out your pritty much set.

DiscusMad
Fri Sep 03, 2004, 01:38 PM
two words

sola powwer!!

weird
Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:07 AM
I always worry about this. I have a 20 meter power extension cable I am ready to feed into my neighbours house if need be. Also I pulled out the old ceremic fuse box, and had it replaced for $600 to make turning on the power easy.

But I guess if the suburb or street was out I would have to consider a small generator ... might check that out.