PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a sump with filter media

goldenpigeon
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 01:09 AM
hey everyone.

i have just had my new 3FTx18x18 sump delivered to me and i now need to stock it with filter media. i will be using the sump on 2 3FTx15x18 tanks which are for breeding.

i just thought i might see what people like to use in their sumps as this is my first sump.

my sump has 4 sections:
1. heaters
2. media
3. media
4. media and return pump.

i need to work out what i want to use in the 2nd and 3rd sections and in the 4th ill have bio balls.

the sump is matrix style BTW.

cheers
David

Tunnel Rat
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 02:12 AM
Hi David
Not sure about what you mean having bio balls in section four.The last section of a sump is normally under water If that is right use Matrix in the last section.
I would go first filter wool sheeting it will get soiled first and you can replace it often.Second jap bio mat with a piece of filter wool sheeting on top so it can be replaced easy & to catch any dirt when you change the first wool section.Section 3 & 4 go all bio (Matrix or similar).
I just put my sump together its not a full Matrix style as I went with both bio balls & matrix style sump it may give you some idea.
Post a pic of your new sump.

There is a up section behind the wood with a piece of bio jap mat at the bottom & coral bone on top.The empty section now has a pump in it that pumps water to a FBF filter & back to the last section.In this shot the pump was off the water level sites lower in the last section.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Snaper/sump.jpg

Rat

Tunnel Rat
Sun Oct 22, 2006, 02:18 AM
Sorry missed the bit about you having your pump in section four so you can only go with jap matting in there no Matrix my bad :( .

Rat

mistakes r crucial
Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:20 AM
Hi David,

If you're going to run a wet and dry try to get the water to sprinkle over the entire surface of the dry part of the sump as you'll also give yourself a degassing chamber, something we have found to be of great value.
MAC