PDA

View Full Version : I GOT EGGS OMG OMG

shayesmommy
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:40 AM
Ok i noticed some weird behavior between my fish. i came to the conclusion they were breeding. or starting too.. WELLL........ i was gonna post here.. But i went out about an hour ago. came home got a flash light to check.. cause im inpaitent and i look nothing . then i noticed discoloration on the filter intake.. SO i go to the other side of the tank.. AND THERES EGGS... Orange eggs. IM SO EXCITED im shaking. I never thought it would happen, but there she is beside me still going at it..
ive read all i think there is to know.. but i still dont know.
I should leave them for a the first couple spawns.. So they learn to be good parents...
How many days before they hatch..
any help will be appriciated..
I will post pictures of course. I had to tell someone.......

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:46 AM
if you're temps at 86f then i think they'll hatch in 48 hours. if its the first time the've spawned then you probably wont get any wrigglers. not to worry they will spawn every week or so. good luck and congratulations :blob :blob :blob

shayesmommy
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:48 AM
oh i didnt expect them too. i jsut wanted to know what to look for.
And yes it is there first spawn..
Thank you.. :D

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:53 AM
around about 24-36 hours if you can see a hint of black in some eggs then you got yourself a pair. however if too few eggs are fertilised then they will just eat them and start over again.

shayesmommy
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:58 AM
i will keep updating and get pictures in the morning. Its midnight here and i dont want to disturb them..

Del
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:02 AM
Congratulations!

Are the pair in a tank by themselves or in a community tank with other tankmates?

DEL

shayesmommy
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:06 AM
they are in a tank with 6 other discus....
there was other tankmates. but i spent the whole day yesterday removing them..
Its a 80g by the way.

scott bowler
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:43 AM
well done and good luck with it .keep us updated

shayesmommy
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 03:46 PM
ok here are some bad pictures...
i will be removing all gravel/subtrate as plants had to be removed.
it will be replaced with something else.

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
thats a very nice pair you have. they'll spawn again soon, will take them a few tries to get things going, but things are on the right track. hope to see some fry soon.

elvip
Mon Oct 23, 2006, 01:36 AM
Congrats!!!
It is very exciting - and makes it all the worthwhile :D

I too have recently been through this scenario - where I had eggs, got excited, then super disappointed because they were either eaten or did not hatch. This is typical (and frustrating) for discus, and will probably happen a few more times before you actually get to wriggler stage. But take heart - if you have enough patience and tolerance, eventually they get it right and you get babies - just like I have now!!!
Patience does pay off in the end with discus (I keep telling myself this)!!

Your fish have made a start - so you're on the right track! All it will take now is a little practise on their part and losts of patience on yours - and you will get there!

Good luck
Elvip