PDA

View Full Version : CO2 system for a 540l tank

DiscusEden
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 02:52 AM
Hi,

I need some more advice (again) and I really appreciate how generous you've all been.

I'm wanting a planted 6ft 540L aquaone tank.

I'm wanting to plant it, so I'm after a CO2 system. I guess I'm so confused by it all that what I'm after is a "buy this one...." and why.

I'm not competent to do a DIY system, so I'm after a complete system with bottled CO2. I'm not confident about monitoring the levels, so I think I'd rather get something that will do this automatically. I'd rather wait & get the right system first up than have to upgrade later.

The LFS has a Red Sea CO2 pro system (40-500L) for $356.70, or a Sera seramic CO2 system for $556. They said either would do the job, but I have no real idea what they do or if there is a more suitable system out there.

I'm also curious about the bottle size - the LFS said I could get a 1000g one from them & refill every 3 weeks, but wouldn't it alter the PH every time it was unplugged? And for that matter, if the CO2 drops the pH, don't you get fluctuation every time you do a water change?

Sorry about the long post, and TIA,
DiscusEden

Bad Inferno
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:47 PM
How much do they charge you for the refill, every 3 weeks seems to be just another maintenance task you don't need ! Give us the refil costs and we can see the overall per year costs ver a ph controller and larger bottle.

Why not look at the following, I'm sure these guy's can kit you out....and by the looks its all low voltage so should be easy. ASK THESE GUY"S FOR THEIR RECOMENDATIONS ON WHAT SUITS YOUR NEEDS BEST, they may do a deal
http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/milwaukeemeters.htm

For a quick price comparison try adding up the following typical parts...
Controller SMS 122, (they may have other options)
Regulator MA957 (or online Aquarium shop maybe cheaper)
Solenoid (ask millwalkee for part No.)
Go to a home brew shop and ask about CO2 cylinder rental.

rob
Add the above up and compare that with your other options. I use a similar system (although not milwaukee) and the bottle lasts for years.

Bad Inferno
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:56 PM
It looks like the solenoids comes with the regulator so it should be aroound $370.00 + freight. I assume web prices are AUD. that just leaves you with the bottle hire, try a home brew shop as BOC gases etc are industrial gas suppliers and charge you accordingly, home brew shops have the same cyclinders however are priced at the consumer end of the market.

fish_r
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
i have the milwukee MA 957 reg with bubble counter, i did have problems with the first one i got. the solenoid wasnt switching of, but sent it back and a new one was sent to me @ no charge and very good service from Brian. "2 days turn over"
http://www.milwaukeemeters.com.au/milwaukeemeters.htm
since then i have had no problems @ all.
i dont use a pH controller but just have the solenoid plugged into a timmer so the co2 comes on when my lights come on and off when the lights are off.
i hire a "D" size bottle from BOC @ about $33 every 3 mths and about the same to re-fill it, has been running for about 6mths now and still heaps left in it.
cant remember what i paid for the reg but it was cheaper than the RRP that is listed on the milwaukee site. if interested ring Brian direct and i'm sure u'll get a better price...
i tried heaps of home brew shops for the hire of the bottle and all the ones i went to just suggested going direct to BOC...
to me $33 a mth is well worth it for the results u get :)
i have an spare DIY inline reactor if ur interested too, just let me know ?

hope it helps....

shake
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 01:44 AM
I agree, I hired my co2 bottle from BOC and for $11 a month. I spend more money on coffee a week. $11 a month wont break the budget.

I must admit to first buy everything is a bit expensive but if you shop around, ebay on line store other members you can save quite abit of money.

I bought a new dupla alpha reg from ebay for $85 shipped. A solenoid also from ebay $30 shipped. A dupla delta ph controller (well free but that's another story). All from ebay. A great spiral glass bubble counter from HK for $15.

DiscusEden
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, but I'm still a bit (well, totally) stuck. I'm new to the whole CO2 thing, and I have a nasty habit, if I can't figure out the last bit of a project, to shelve the lot. For years. So what I really want is a complete system, where I don't need to figure out how to put it together. I'm willing to pay for a complete setup, but I don't know what to buy.

I'll definitely check out your suggestions about the BOC bottles. That sounds great.

I was quoted $10 a refill, every 3 weeks, so your idea sounds much better. Cheaper, more stable & less running around. Thanks heaps!

I'm still confused as to what to hook it up to. I want something that will regulate itself & comes as a complete setup.

Thanks again,
DiscusEden

fish_r
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 05:54 AM
i was the same when i first set up, was going to go the whole hog and get a complete kit to make it easier, but after doing some research, i decided against it to save myself some money, not that the money side really bothered me, but in the end i got what i wanted, the bottle sizes being the main thing. cause most of the kits come with a pissy little bottle.
unless u go for some thing like a dupla set up $$$
depending on where u live u are welcome to come over and have a look at my set up and it might give u a better idea ? if u want to go fully automated all u would have to add to a system like mine is the sms 122 pH controller, but i have found it not to be neccasary ? and my is semi automated. the only thing i do is clean my reactor once and a while and check my co2 levels every now and then...
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm
if u do decide to buy the whole setup i would recomend a dupla setup, go into seaview aquariums and pick there brains :) then try find it cheaper elsewhere :)

shake
Sat Oct 21, 2006, 06:13 AM
Try these for a complete set.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Co2-Complete-Setup-Package-Tropical-Aquarium-Plants_W0QQitemZ220008707815QQihZ012QQcategoryZ117 435QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Co2-Regulator-Solenoid-Tropical-Aquarium-Plants_W0QQitemZ320038409664QQihZ011QQcategoryZ117 435QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and add
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Ph-Controller-Controls-Co2-Dosage_W0QQitemZ320013219453QQihZ011QQcategoryZ117 435QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I can't comment if these are any good as I have never used them. Thre could be cheaper products out there. But if you something like these then you just have to add a bottle. (BOC)