PDA

View Full Version : unkown probelm in discus

gaia77
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:27 PM
Hi All,

I don't know what happen in my discus, all the fins are rotten.
I am using "Maracyn-TC" to treat it , it seems that nothing happen.

Would someone give me some idea what is going on
in this discus? Is it caused by low ph value, water quality
and bacteria? Any other medication I should use now.

Thanks!

samir
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 06:39 PM
looks like bacterial fin rot to me. is it progressing fast ? if tetracycline is not working try amoxicillin or triple sulphur. do daily water changes. if the fins deteriorate fast then maybe lower the temperature.

gaia77
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for your advice!

I will try your medication and change water daily.

It is very fast the fin becoming rotten. (1 day)

Bill T
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:48 PM
Do you run a UV steriliser?

I have had similar problems in the distant past. No amount of medication seemed to work, so I sterilised everything and started again, same problem emerged, so I sterilised and added a UV sterliser - no more problems!

The trouble with keeping tropical fish is that we establish an environment that is well suited to bacteria - moist, warm, nutrient supply, oxygen. All it takes is some virulent little bug to get in there, and ... voila...!

I always scrub up before putting my hands in the tank and keep my equipment clean and dry and dedicated to only fish tank use. Also try to minimize putting my hands or other objects in the tank.

I reckon also, keeping a stable pH avoids acid burns, which open up the fish to infection, so good husbandry cannot be replaced.

gaia77
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 02:51 AM
Hi Bill ,

Thanks for your info! I need to look at UV sterilizer.
But I am sure that I suffer PH low issue, after 2-3 days water change,
ph value will drop to 6.2PH, since water coming from city adds some
chemical in water.

Bill T
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:16 AM
I think we are getting somewhere.

Lots of people will tell you about the importance of water condition and ageing your water before changing. I assume you water conditioner to take chlorine etc. out before adding new water to your tank.

A rapid pH drop will do a lot of damage & burn your fish. So you should get this under control. Make sure you are not overfeeding, and do regular water changes. I find 2 to 3 degrees of kH keeps a nice steady pH - margin for error.

Hope those fish recover.

gaia77
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
I agree what you said , water is major damage to fish, since
I lived anotber city, the fish is good , and current city add so many
chemical in water, so my fish get hurt, even I put dechlorine and
remove chloramines too. ( Amquel )