PDA

View Full Version : Cover glass on/off?

Jet_SU
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:33 PM
This might seem like a bit of a stupid question. However, last night i was thinking about the way fish are commonly freighted.. bagged up with pure oxygen. Standard practise.. right? I was wondering why we run tanks with coverglass. On my tanks i've always had the cover glass sealing the tanks relatively well to minimise heat loss and evapouration. As well as liking things being a tight fit :wink: .... so fish don't jump out :D

Which makes me wonder, wouldn't the coverglass reduce the water exposure to oxygen?

Which is the oposite effect we want to have?

Perhaps the coverglasses avalibilty to retain the sealed evironment is minimal? I'm not sure... always been terrible at chemicals and chemistry.

Someone care to explain this oxygen/water thing?

FishLover
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:49 PM
The covers can not make air tight, which means air do get in. Most people will have some hose and things like that going to the tank, which means they have to cut holes to the back of the cover to allow these things go through, which means air is allowed to go through too. That will be enough for gas exchange to take place. Plus, each time you open the cover to feed the fish, fresh air gets through.

mcloughlin2
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:07 PM
Providing you have a nice filter running, maybe even a air stone there will be no problems with lack of oxygen ...

In every tank I've bought, the cover glass has a corner cut off to allow room for the heater etc ...

So aslong as yours has that, you will be fine ... :wink:

lesxda
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 05:44 PM
I have loss 4 adult discus slipping out through small slits in the glass top as where the filter hoses enter the tank and the return hose goes in.

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:01 PM
I have loss 4 adult discus slipping out through small slits in the glass top as where the filter hoses enter the tank and the return hose goes in.
:shock: :shock: maybe you need to check your water parameters and for parasites.did you medicate at that time ??? if they're jumping out of the tank there's something seriously wrong.