PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Albino Turq.

ivo
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:41 AM
Hi guys,

Do you know where can i get an albino turq.? Roughly, how much is asking price for medium size? Thanks.

samir
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:46 AM
they cost more than the golden and less than the snakeskin.

G-1000
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 06:27 AM
"Medium Size"

This for me would be between 9-12 cms in total length.

At that price, you could get a crap one for like say 250-300 or a show specimen for around 400-450.

If you want awesome fish, then buy a massive discus (like 7-8 inches) and mate it to the albino. Then inbreed the offspring. You will have massive size albinos which are much more desirable.

Obviously the process is quite hard.

G

ivo
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 06:37 AM
thanks guys. that would be too much hard work for me. i looked at the latest SLS shipment list and saw a pair on it. i emailed but no response. do you know anywhere has albino turq. available?

samir
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 06:45 AM
look at the shape of the fish before you buy. dont get it just because its an albino

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:15 AM
Ivo,

I would also try to buy a juvi albino.

For example, my albino has great shape and is fairly large. BUT, as you can see from my other post, it may not pull through this illness it has. So if you bought an albino like mine, it would cost you potentially up to 500 at retail prices to get hold of one, but there would be no guarantee of it living a long life.

Get a juvi, it will be much cheaper and more enjoyable.

G

ivo
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:35 AM
sorry i dont know how to search post under by you. what kind of albino's illness are you talking about? thanks.

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:38 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9561

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:52 AM
if you haven't kept discus before I suggest go for the hardier strains like the turks or common pigeon blood. albino's can't go dark, so for someone not experienced it may be hard to pick if somethings wrong.

ivo
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
dear samir,
what made you think i haven't kept discus before? i just thought there is a common illness that albino share. you are on the forum a lot what discus do you keep?

G-1000
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:02 AM
Ivo,

Samir is just trying to draw your attention to how hard it is to keep an albino.

They are genetically weaker fish than others and furthermore, they have no black pigment at all so you will never see signs of when they are sick.

G

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
then i guess you wont have those issues. problems that can arise with albino's would be blindness. though i dont have any experience breeding or keeping them i'm quite positive that any albino spawn would have its fair share of blind/semi-blind fry (i used to have that problem with parrots) although blind fry would die off in a few days you still have a pretty decent chance of getting an albino that cant see too well . they would also be heavily inbred and more prone to illnesses. SLS had some albino turks and Fishrock had a golden albino pair for sale a little while ago. if you can get your hands on a snakeskin even better.

dachoo
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 12:24 PM
Very interesting subject, I just decided to started collecting Albino discus
last months. So far apart from no color change & growth rate plus sexing it. It would be on my breeding list soon.