PDA

View Full Version : Do you think PH level is important ?

azzakat
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 05:25 AM
Do you think PH level is important ?
Many people belive you should adjust the PH level for discus.
The tap water where i live comes out neutral (7.0)
but since i can remember i have always used a buffer to lower to around 6.5-6.7

I have a friend who lives nearby and also keeps and breeds discus and he has never used buffers all his tanks are at 7.0 and he has no problems with breeding.

So my question what do you think :?:

azzakat
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 AM
c'mon ppl

Nathan
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 07:36 AM
some people can successfully breed an keep discus in ph of up to 7.4!

i keep mine at 6.

if your ph is 7 then i wouldnt bother changing it, that should be fine at 7

DR.V
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 07:52 AM
IMO, it is more important to keep the pH stable rather than "right".

I keep mine at around 7, without adding anything (chemical) to the water. But I have plenty of driftwood in the tank to help bring the pH down a bit.

HTH

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
A pH of 7 will be fine for keeping discus, and even for raising fry, but if you find you have a very low hatch rate with eggs, then try dropping your pH to 6.5.

Bill T
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:34 PM
I had some trouble with gill flukes for a while. After a prolonged period of pH about 6.0 they seemed to go away. Now I keep the pH at about 7.0 with a bit of kH.

My discus have been healthy for ages now.

azzakat
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:36 AM
Great advice!

What are pros/cons of a 7.0 PH as opose to 6.5

samir
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:56 AM
a ph of 6.5 is always better than 7. i think my ph is around 7 but if given a choice i'd take 6.5 any day. in the end you do what is convenient for you. i have about 10 tanks and do not have the time to buffer a 1000 litres twice a week, so i don't bother with getting the ph down. however if I had a single tank I'd definitely try and keep a ph of about 6-6.5. when using a low ph for the first time one tends to notice that a lot of previous problems with diseases/parasites etc seem to go away.

Del
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:28 AM
My tap water comes out at PH7.5.

I always drop it to a PH of 7 using "Sera PH Minus" in my aging bucket before water changing.

Every week it seems to go up to 7.5 again so I know it is time for a 30% water-change.

It is a planted, community tank with discus, tetras, whiptail, cory...

Not sure if it is the "right way to go" but it seems to work for me as I only have one display tank right now...

DEL

mmm ... maybe I should start dropping it to 6.5..... mmmmm :?

DR.V
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 10:10 AM
Water has memory. Unless you're using a buffer, no matter if you drop or raise them, they will go back to what they were before.

Del
Sat Nov 11, 2006, 10:45 PM
"Sera Ph Minus" is not a buffer Dr V?

What buffer would you suggest I use to keep my tank Ph the same as my aged water Ph?

a ph of 6.5 is always better than 7
if I had a single tank I'd definitely try and keep a ph of about 6-6.5

What would you use to acheive this Samir?

DEL