PDA

View Full Version : WTB Display Discus

Ogre
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:39 PM
Hi people. I am looking to buy Discus that are at least 8+ cm.

I am currently setting up a 200 ltr Discus display and would like 3. I will only buy local ( Brisbane - Lismore ). I will also need to see pics which you can email me.

Please send me a PM if you have anything I would like.

DR.V
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:58 PM
Best to keep 4 discus together. 3 wont work well IMO.

Plus your tank is big enough for 4 adult discus.

Good luck.

Ogre
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 07:36 AM
I am putting tetras and a few BN and Clown Loaches in. You think 4 will work better..could you tell me why please. I have never had Discus so any info like this is much appriciated.

MattB
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 07:50 AM
I've just got into discus keeping, (kept them 1.5 months now) and originally planned on getting 3 to save costs :). Luckily I found a local dealer who was selling babies; so I decided to go with 5 instead. I think discus are much happier and more active in groups, as they tend to swim around together; occasionally separating to do their own things, pick at plants, explore somewhere etc :).

Also another advantage is I find my bunch can get a little agressive and greedy at meal times, and the dominant 2 tend to pick on the others, chasing them away etc, so if you have more the aggressiveness is more evenly spread out, so the weaker ones therefore have more time to eat etc. I also have some neons and cories in the tank, but the discus completely ignore them, and I dont think they add much to the bioload.

My tank is 190L so almost the same as yours and I am planning to grow out the 5 juveniles into adults, so when they get there I will be a little over the stocking rule (1 adult/40L).

I'm no expert at all in keeping discus, this is just my personal experience but I do recommend keeping the largest number of discus you can accomodate/afford/is possible for you; and this is all just my opinion.

Good luck!, and I hope you enjoy your discus (I sure am:))

DR.V
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:22 AM
If you get 3, more often than not, 1 will get picked by the other 2.

HTH

Ogre
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:27 AM
Cheers for the Info.

I have another question tho. Am I better to buy bigger 1's say 8 - 10cm or get smaller 1's and grow them up? Will this lead to less agression?

goldenpigeon
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:31 AM
yay another gold coast member! hehe

mate i have 3 large discus for sale at the moment. i have :

1x 12cm orange pigeon (female, very little peppering)
1x 11cm red turquoise (female)
1x 16cm red turquoise (male)

i might have a few others for sale but im not sure at this stage. all are fat, eat heaps and are stunning fish, especially the big male.

if you would like to drop in for a look (i might be able to get some pics but im not sure) i live in Coomera Waters (near Dreamworld).

im not sure on prices but if you want the lot we can work out a deal.

cheers
David

DR.V
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:34 AM
Cheers for the Info.

I have another question tho. Am I better to buy bigger 1's say 8 - 10cm or get smaller 1's and grow them up? Will this lead to less agression?

Up to you. I prefer buying juvie as I like to watch them grow.

Good luck.

Dee
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
Cheers for the Info.

Hi Ogre,

If it's your 1st time with discus I would go with the 8-10cm, they are slightly hardier than little juvies. I would also recommend a minimum of 4-5 ... 5 being more favourable. Best of luck :D

Cheers,

Dee :D

Ogre
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
Cheers for the info guys. Will keep searching.