PDA

View Full Version : Heating a fishroom

revkev
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 05:27 AM
Whats the best way to heat an insulated fishroom?

Phlipper
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 10:21 AM
Well I may not have the ideal solution but I did look into that option with my fish room, there is no cheap way, and if you live in a cold area then expensive it is !

Overall I believe the best way is simply individual tank heaters, if the room is well insulated then the warmth of the tank water will assist in keeping the temperature up, and as a consequence the heaters dont have to work so hard. Individual heaters also give the advantage of being able to regulate individual tank temps to suit various fish.

Ben
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 10:42 AM
2nd hand polystereine sheets will be the way to go.

revkev
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:55 AM
What about reverse- cycle air conditioning inverter type could be better than just individual heaters I am looking at saving running costs ie big power bills.There must be a few people that have fishrooms in colder climates SA,VIC,NSW TAS. :?

Dave76
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 02:26 AM
I use a 2HP reverse cycle on my insulated sea container fishroom - works a treat

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7161&highlight=

Nice constant 27 degrees. Most of the time it is only the fan running internally (uses about 80wts IIRC) - the heater/cooler only turns on as required.

I use tank heaters to bump my discus tanks up to the 28-30 range (I keep a range of africans / corys etc as well who wouldn't appreciate the higher temps all the time)

All up with the aircon, 2500wts worth of heaters, airpump to run all the filters plus a few flouros costs my about $2 a day to run.

HTH

Dave

*Chris*
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 03:01 AM
go the central heating and poly room panels
chris