PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and subsrate...tank rebuild

Bad Inferno
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 03:25 AM
I decided instead of changing tanks and would strip the existing and do a make over...I do have pressurised CO2 with fluval 404 and 11w phillips UV

**Lighting**
I have had my tubes way too long (embarrased to say !) and thought it time for replacement.

I have 200 litres with a three tube canopy (2 x 3', 1 x 2.5') ....at the moment I have jebo tubes and a power glo however there is soo many choices.....The tank is 18" high. I am hoping to grow hair grass and ground cover.

Any recomendations for brands and types. ?

**Subsrate**
I currently have a reverse flow undergravel arrangement where fresh water is pumped under the subsrate. I will take this out and put a layer of fert subsrate and top off with either sand or a darker gravel. I was thinking to just use JBL as thats what I have seen at the vic market aquarium.

I am torn between sand or a darker gravel with a black background. I have a couple of Pigeon Bloods and wondered with back substrate if they would speckle more. I do notice it with the black background they speckle up more. I am thinking the sand just for a complete change...

Anybody know which LFS south east suburbs of Melb which stock JBL or other substrate.

cheers

rob

StonX
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 03:47 AM
Why don't you buy the substrate from APW? They are the cheapest as far as i know

Skulljug
Tue Oct 24, 2006, 12:29 PM
Alright this might start an argument so please be aware that what follows below is my humble opinion only!!!

A fantastic and dirt(Literally) cheap substrate is soil mixed with vermiculite topped with pool filter sand. I use 1/4 good red soil with 3/4 normal garden soil (Taken from a grassy sloping area, near the top of the slope) mix in some vermiculite(see your local hydroponics store, it's really cheap). Throw in some good tabs, I use flourish but will use something cheaper next time, then cover it all with an inch of sand.

I have used this in a lot of tanks and the plants go nuts - even in my daughters eclipse 20l tank with 8w light this will grow crypts like they are exploding and even more difficult plants like lillaeopsis do very well.

It can be a bugger if you are replanting a lot because the soil will get into your water column (Clears pretty fast though).

I have no idea if the commercially bought substrates are better because for almost no money at all I have something that works brilliantly!