PDA

View Full Version : keeping tiger barbs with discuss in a 48" tank

krich
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 06:29 AM
Heard that they're fin nibbing and quite an agressive specie. However I happened to keep a school of 10 in my 48" inch tank for 4-5 days now.
Not a choice since at first I'd tried to put them in the 20 gallons tank with my 2 crayfishes(fresh water lobster).. after observing my crayfishes chasing them around for 5 mins I decided to put all in my big tank that already has 4 discuses with neon tetras and some other tankmates with no choice or they be end up being food for my crayfishes in small tank.

Is it an okay choice? Heard that Tigerbarbs is kinda alert and somewhat fin nibbling type. Good thing is that they're kinda hardy fish really.
I'm tired of losing a few neon tetras everytime I did a waterchange( given I'd do everything right... aging, dechlorinating before using it for 40-50% change)

Note: I'd recently put a heater to maintain the temp around 30-32 C to keep my discus healthy though.

Thanksss for all the opinion!

krich
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 06:32 AM
All my discuses are 3 inch or more.. 4 of them now..

4 more to come in a few days)

bushie
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:14 AM
just my opinion,
but I think I would rather feed tiger barbs to crayfish,
rather than feeding discus to tiger barbs.
but as I said it is just my opinion.
better still, get another tank,
or off load what you don`t have room for to another fishkeeper or your lfs.

goldenpigeon
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 09:21 AM
i am one of those poeple that hate tiger barbs lol. no dont put them with your discus. give them to your cray fish or take them to your LFS. your discus are much better than tigers ;)

Phlipper
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 01:04 PM
Ditto, I think Tiger Barbs are risky with most fish, and I certainly wouldn't risk it with expensive Discus

Ben
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 01:50 PM
I would not say you cant keep TB's with discus but really you should'nt.