PDA

View Full Version : The worming drug I used, is it any good ??

benjohnson
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 08:45 AM
Hello

I have used Waterlife Sterazin for worming my fish . Has anyone else used it and shoud I expect it be very effetive or does anyone have any other suggestions that would be better for future treatments?

FYI after worming them I have actually found some little thin red worms on the bottom of my tank !!! Is this the fish passing them because of the medicine? I have cleaned the tank thoroughly and I havnt seen any more since.

Merrilyn
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:30 AM
Sterazin is an excellent product, and will remove worms from your fish, just as the instructions say.

flaggy
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:43 AM
Ladyred, have you found Sterazin effective for nematodes/roundworms? It says it would also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm... Or would Levamisole be more effective?

Merrilyn
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 10:46 AM
I believe Levamisole to be a stronger drug.

Sterazin advertise that is can be used in the control of round worms and threadworms, as well as gill and body flukes. You need to use it according to the directions on the bottle for it to be effective, which is something like 4 doses, each 2 days apart.

Levamisole is one treatment, with a follow up treatment after 7 days.

Mulisha
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 10:47 AM
Ladyred, have you found Sterazin effective for nematodes/roundworms? It says it would also aid the control of internal parasites such as Round Worm... Or would Levamisole be more effective?

Levamisole is a worm treatment for nematodal parasites, camallanus and capillaria.

You need to make sure you get the pure stuff, usually sold as Pig and Poultry wormer. The dose rate is 1 ml per 7 lts. aquarium water. Or buy a worm treatment from your aquarium store containing levamisole.

Levamisole will work well if you trying to clean them out so to speak but some people find it a harsh drug so only use if nessery ...

HTH

Goodluck! 8-)

benjohnson
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
I had to do 5 treatments. First 2 were 2 days apart, then one 3 days later then another 2 a further 2 days apart. Was really easy to use ( had exact measures for different size tanks on the bottle itself which was handy) and the fish didnt seem distressed by it at all , Thats actually the reason I asked whether it was effective, as it literally didn't seem to bother them at all !!! I have used it on all of my fish, from my breeding pair (which are about 7 to 8 " big) through to my babys which are < 1 inch big and they were all fine with it .

If you dont want to go for a strong version like levimasole then i think this is a really good alternative.

Bill T
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 06:33 AM
I had a bad experience with Sterazine when trying to cure gill flukes.
Didn't seem to touch the gill flukes, but when I upped the dose following advice from Waterlife it really hurt my fish.

Suggest Octozin if you can get some - really cleans out intestinal worms etc.

benjohnson
Thu Oct 12, 2006, 07:21 AM
I think Octozin is the Sterazin equivalent but for invertebrates, sturgeons and some other type's of fish thaty don't get on with sterazin. It says on the bottle what you can and can't use each one for I believe.

Ben

Bill T
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:08 AM
I noticed a huge difference between the two products.
Sterazin didn't do much, but within 20 minutes of the first dose of Octozin, one of my discuss passed a huge slimy looking off white coloured worm, and the other one went spastic for about 20 minutes passing heaps of long white things!

Since then, both of them have been in the best of health.

benjohnson
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 06:58 AM
That is a remarkable difference , although I suppose it depends how much of a response you get from the drug depending on how bad a worm your fish has, "long white slimey things" and lots of them sounds like you had a pretty serious problem.

I didn't suspect I had a worm problem, was just doing it as a routine measure so maybe mine didn't have any to pass?