PDA

View Full Version : Rotting Roots

Dearra
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
Well after my disasterous algae problem which is now pretty much gone, I have now found that the roots on my Ludwigia and Baby Pink Tears are rotting.

They are in Seachem Flourite, so I wasn't really expecting anything like that to happen. After the struggle I had with the algae, I thought everything was going to be okay. I don't know what to do now. Does anyone have any ideas I what I can do.

Thanks
Dearra

Noddy65
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 11:06 AM
Dearra
Don't worry too much, theyre both stem plants so I would pull them up, rip the rotten bottoms off and replant the tops...

Mike

Dearra
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
As simple as that. Too easy. I thought I would have to throw them all out. Thanks Mike.

One question though, when I first put them in I kept the band on that was around them. Should I put it back on to group them together or just toss it.

Nathan
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:11 PM
most people toss it, i do.

up to u though i dnt think therel be to much different to whether you do or dont but i think if u spread the plant out a bit more then itl grow thicker rather then if its clamped together.

Noddy65
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 12:34 PM
Nope...toss the rubber band...it may cause no problem but it may also restrict /kill the stems below the band....just hold the stems as a group in you fingers and push into the substrate.
Almost without exception, stem plants look better when grouped.
If you want to increase the number of plants, when the plants grow tall, pull them up, tear off the top 10 - 15 cm and replant the tops. You can also replant the bottoms with the roots, they don't look all that good but in most circumstances they will send out new shoots and then you have two nice thick bunches. If you do this a few times you can turn one pot of stem plants into many many plants very quickly, especially if you have ideal growing conditions (ie enough light, ferts and CO2).
Mike

Dearra
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 12:59 AM
I have had enough. I have decided to rip all the plants out after 3 months of battling one disater after another and just go back to plastic plants. At least they don't rot and die. I just want to sit back and enjoy looking at my fish instead of constantly looking at dead plants. When I first started I didn't know what was involved. Had I been told what was involved I would never have started it. People obviously are only interested in making money without giving all the information required. All is not as easy as they say.

What I need to know is, I have Seachem Flourite on the bottom with white pebbles on the top. Do I have to remove the flourite if I no longer have plants or can I leave it there.

I really do want to thank everyone on this board who has tried to help me. It was very much appreciated. Thankyou

Dearra

Robdog
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 03:56 AM
I wouldn't give up. Just find some different (easier) plants to grow. Try some Hygro or some val. If you can't grow that stuff consider yourself "brown thumbed" and go the fake plants.

As for the substrate, just leave it in there in case you change your mind down the track.

flaggy
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 06:35 AM
Some plants, eg various anubias types, java fern, java moss, etc, are real easy to grow - even I can do it!