PDA

View Full Version : need a bit of help

geo/discus breeder
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 09:36 AM
i need some help i haven't ever seen this in discus before
one of my discus's pectoral fins is sticking to him it rarely moves
he also isn't as lively as normal

he is the biggest cleanest pigion blood i have ever seen in the flesh he is really close to sucsesfully breeding with a white swan so he is the lesh so i don't wont him to die

samir
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 09:52 AM
its probably a water issue, check ammonia n nitrites and do a water change

DIY
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 10:46 AM
I have noticed with my discus that clamping a pectoral fin can be an early indicator of being unwell, but sometimes they do it for no apparent reason. If he starts facing the back corner nose down and breathing heavy then maybe it's more of a concern.

For now since he's your prize discus I'd go with samir's suggestion and do a large w/c, if anything is wrong it's the first thing to do anyway and I'm sure he'll appreciate it :D .

geo/discus breeder
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 01:00 PM
yep his at the coner of the tank he only moves when it's lunch time
i have only noticed this over the last few days

they had there own 4 foot tank and i added some more discus so i think he's pissed of but i havn't seen the other discus doing this

i will move them in a week or two in there own breeding tank

*Chris*
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 12:05 AM
well you added some more discus so id say one of the new discus is carrying something that has passed on to the old residents of the tank.
EXAI

stonedavid
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 12:31 AM
Could be he feels threatened by the new arrivals, sounds like he still has his appetite as you mentioned he is atill feeding. Just keep an eye in him and if he changes colour dramatically then you may have to do something. I have had discus do similar things and its all because i have changed something in or around the tank surrounds. As the other people have said water changes wldnt go astray.

geo/discus breeder
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:18 AM
thanks for the help i did a water change and i will keep them up as useual i hope nothing bad happens

geo/discus breeder
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 06:08 AM
he is getting worse he has lost his appatite

if there is any medication i can use i would pay anything he is my most valuable discus i want to get him breeding again

samir
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 06:15 AM
how about a picture

*Chris*
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 07:52 AM
try worming him with levemisole
then if that doesnt work try using a course of metro
and yeah a photo would be good
EXAI

seecuta
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 08:30 AM
sounds like early signs of discus plague! if he loses his color, apetite and starts producing excessive slime treat with metronidazole asap

goldenpigeon
Sat Oct 14, 2006, 08:50 AM
have his fins started to deteriorate yet? if you notice them becomming a bit ratty you must get some metro in there ASA because huge damage will be done to the fins within 48 hours.

i have had a case of discus plague before and one of my female discus almost completely lost her tail in under a day!

then again it might not be discus plague. PICTURES!

HTH

geo/discus breeder
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
i don't have a camera at the moment but i can explain that the condidion of both discus in the pair is now pritty bad the female has lost 1/3 of a pectrol fin so i will definetly go down to the vet tomoro

how much is it

i have a pair of royal blue's that bred today in the same tank with a divider would the metro afect the eggs or babies