PDA

View Full Version : Echinodoris Marble Queen Flower?

Cheyne_Jones
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:46 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever had one of these flower for them?

Noticed mine has started sending up a flower spike this morning. It usually gets about 3 new leaves a week but this looks totally different, thats why i think it is a flower spike....

Guessing it should have the flower formed within the next few days, so i will post a pic when (if) it gets there...

Nathan
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:21 PM
got any pics?

JNS
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 12:11 AM
I always thought these plants flower out of water - I had a spike from my plant a few months ago. It was basically a large runner and little plantlets grew off it. I eventually cut it off and replanted the little plantlets. Only one survived, but I now have two Echinodorus, and can boast that my plant reproduced!

If it is to flower, you may need to lower your tank water and get air between your lid & the water surface, as I think the plant flowers above the surface.

Nathan
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 12:58 AM
oh yea i have one of those, it sends up spikes every week or so, an they grow FAST.

i dont think they flower (mine hasnt) it just produces little plants off the spike as JNS mentioned.

Cheyne_Jones
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 09:46 AM
Finally got a pic...

Maybe it is just a spike for plantlets...

Mulisha
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 09:57 AM
Inside that is seeds and they will release and the current in your water will push them around.. in like 3 weeks you should have little plants 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Cheyne_Jones
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks Mulisha....

Will have to replant them and have some more of these plants on the go to get a bit of credit at the LFS...

Must be doin somthing rite with the whole planted tank game finally, the tank is only about 6 weeks old and everything is going crackers in there...

Nathan
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 10:13 AM
make sure they have roots before u plant them otherwise i found they dont develop them if you cut them off without roots.