PDA

View Full Version : cloudy eyes?

ren
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:09 AM
hey guys

just noticed two of my malboro reds have sort of cloudy eyes - a sort of murky white patch that my other discus dont have - what is this??? :||||||

ren

samir
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:17 AM
do a couple of water changes it should become okay

ren
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:19 AM
crud hes now laying on his side at the top of the tank :( arrrrgh

i did 30% yesterday still want me to do another w/c ?

ren
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:25 AM
when i go over to the tank to have a closer look he straightens up and swims on over fine like the rest thinking they will get food..

*argh!*

samir
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:51 AM
does it have finrot ? maybe do 30% water changes for the next 3 days and see how it goes. how often do you change water ? any ammonia or nitrite readings ? are you overfeeding ?

ren
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:57 AM
ive been making sure im not overfeeding lately as ive had a bit of algae come up on the windows

water params are fine

amm 0
nitrite 0
nitrate no idea no tester

i do two 30% water changes per week and my last one was yesterday

oh and the tail fin does have 2 or 3 splits in it - which im pretty sure it didnt have yesterday

samir
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 06:19 AM
it happened with me once when i fed my fry with powdered food, the water got dirty and the pair got cloudy eyes. a few water changes fixed it. i hope it does the same for you. i think its a water quality issue.

DIY
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:09 AM
My discus have had "cloudy" eye a few times and every time its been water conditions.

Any time I have tried algae rid type medication of any sort my discus get cloudy eyes pretty quickly including when I tried dosing
flourish excel in an attempt to get rid of black brush algae :(

Do as large a water changes as you can over a couple of days to remove whatever is irritating them and they should clear up fairly quickly

ren
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 10:42 AM
thanks for the replies guys i will do a 30% change straight after this post i had to step out for a bit

hopefully wont have to reply with more problems :(

ren
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 03:35 AM
well i've done two 30% changes (saturday and today) + fridays one and still no sign of improvement :(

samir
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 05:27 AM
any chance of pictures ?

ren
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:21 AM
im really not that good with a camera but here are two one with and without a flash still not too clear though and hes hiding behind a leaf!!

ren
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:26 AM
just been hiding in the corner there and under the driftwood on the other side - and didnt even come up for bloodworms this morning or live blackworms i tried just 30mins ago :( :( :(

ren
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 08:41 AM
got some better pics - eyes are still cloudy and its laying a bit on its side again :(

samir
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 08:47 AM
what is the temperature in your tank ? any signs of ammonia ? nitrite ? do you have a separate tank to put them in ? is the tail rotting off ? cant really tell from the pic. what colour are the droppings ?

*Chris*
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 11:25 AM
his tail seems to be frayed his body seems very skinny id give him a dose of metro
he probably has heximita in his gut which can appear as three things
frayed tail
skinny
or hole in head
EXAI

ren
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 03:03 PM
temp is 29
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate should be low as ive done so many changes

nah i dont have a spare tank - yeh the tail is splitting there is almost a white foamy type appearance on the edge of his fins? not sure - the other fish are annoying him too why cant fish be nicer to the sick ones grr stupid animal instinct to reject the weake

metro? ill have to go buy some tomorrow

:/

hope he makes it the night

samir
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 03:24 PM
if they are annoying him then it will only get worse. is there any way you can divide the tank with an egg crate. i'm not sure what metro will do to your plants. if its still eating you can get some beefheart and make a mix. i think its 1 gram of metro per 100 grams of mix. maybe someone can shed more light on the exact recommended amount.

ren
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 02:19 AM
he just passed away a few mins ago ;(

Bill T
Fri Oct 13, 2006, 02:19 AM
Very sorry to hear that. Sometimes a fish can have some internal disorder which weakens them & they evetually succumb - tumours, infection, etc.

I would keep a close eye on the other fish. If they show any such signs, get a diagnosis asap. Do you have a fish competent vet?