PDA

View Full Version : red claw

rosieb
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:07 AM
hi
we have a male and female red claw, both about 1 year old. i know the female lays eggs and the male fertilizes them, but thats about all i know.
does anyone know more info about the number of eggs, what they look like etc?
thanks

mcloughlin2
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:51 AM
Can we please have some pictures?
Never heard of a strain called a "Red Claw" :idea:

Now have the fish spawned for you? Or for a previous owner?
If you have never had the fish breed in your company, I'd would question that they're actually a pair ...
Unless of course you bought them of someone trustworthy ... :wink:

Fertile eggs look like the ones pictured below -

(These fish belong to TeeFM. All credit goes to him for taking a good photo and having great look'n discus ...)

The second picture shows some unfertised eggs .. They are the ones white in colour and will develop fungus after a few days ...

All credit for the photo goes to DIYjunkie as he took the picture and the eggs are from one of his pairs of discus ..

Egg colour varies from fish to fish though .. Some eggs can be clear in colour, some brown (As seen in the picture provided) and some can be more of a red .. It depends on what the parents are fed ...

Any white eggs are not fertilised and will be removed by the parents in most cases ...

In a usual spawn the egg number is usually around 300 from experiance ... Some spawns may only be as small as 150 but some can be up to 500 ...

This can depend on size and age of the parents and what strain the parents are ...

HTH

stonedavid
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hi Rosieb, Are you talking about Red Claw crustacean as in yabbie, thats the only Red Claw i have heard of very common up here in Nth Qld. Has anyone heard of a Red Claw Discus??
Rgds Pete

mcloughlin2
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:40 AM
Hi Rosieb, Are you talking about Red Claw crustacean as in yabbie, thats the only Red Claw i have heard of very common up here in Nth Qld. Has anyone heard of a Red Claw Discus??
Rgds Pete

Mate now that seems to be the obvious ... :oops:

I wonder why it was posted in the discus breeding section ?

stonedavid
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:46 AM
LOL thxs mcloughlin, im fading fast here, anyone want the flu, guaranteed time off work and brain drain lol
ciao

rosieb
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 10:57 PM
yes i am talking about the crustacean. the freshwater cray. sorry if i posted it in the wrong section or wrong forum.

stonedavid
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 02:52 AM
No problem, female red claw will get a mass of eggs under her tail, sorry cant remember the colour, the male will then fertilise whilst they are still underneath her tail. After fertilisation the eggs will ripen and mature, so they will look like cavier. When eggs are fully mature with nymphs inside them, she starts to flick her tail releasing the babies all over the tank. You need areas of cover for the babies as other fish and parents will eat if they find them. There is a difference underneath the male and female tails. Hope this is of help.
Rgds
Pete

Ben
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 03:02 AM
Red claws from Nothern parts of australia, Marrons from WA and our humble little yabby here in Victoria...All excellent eating if prepared and cooked well!

stonedavid
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah they are Ben, really good on hte sunday arvo BBQ.........sorry rosieb :oops: ...................but they really are yummie lol.

rosieb
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 12:16 AM
i know they are really yummy!!!! mmmm especially on the barbie. i just noticed she has eggs under her tail about 1.5 mm in diameter. i hope theyre fertilized! how long do the eggs take to hatch? thanks

stonedavid
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 07:54 AM
Unsure but they start out as a mass then as they mature the look like individual eggs. They darken as the larvae mature inside. Looks like BBQ at your place.

Ben
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 12:34 PM
Rosie we look forward to the big BBQ!

rosieb
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 03:48 AM
lol! ive found out the eggs take up to 10 weeks to hatch!

mcloughlin2
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 04:24 AM
There are several crayfish forums that i could direct you too if you havn't already found them ...

And it depends on temperature when it come to how long it takes for the eggs to hatch ....

rosieb
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 04:39 AM
oh yes please! i just tried to find a fish forum and this is the first i got! thankyou

mcloughlin2
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 08:02 AM
:wink: ,

http://www.bluecrayfish.com/phpBB2/index.php

Mulisha
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 08:48 AM
:wink: ,

http://www.bluecrayfish.com/phpBB2/index.php

Looks like a great forum for those that like Crayfish !

8-) My firend had a dam full of red claws and they after while must have breed a fair few times becuase after about a year there were tons of them and there still are and they eat them..

rosieb
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 12:26 AM
thankyou so much for the link. ill love and leave this forum now....... i have no idea what a discus is!!!! LOL