PDA

View Full Version : Green film on water surface? Help!!!!

shawn barker
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:32 PM
I have an algae problem consisting of a thin green film floating on the surface of the water. It is easily broken up into little particles and it has me stumped on how to get rid of it.

I did a complete water test yesterday hoping to find out the problem but nothing stood out as being wrong (incl. phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia).

I have been doing almost daily water changes 10-20% so...

ANY ideas please as to how I should clear this as at the moment it is the only detracting feature in the tank?

Phlipper
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:04 AM
It sounds like a blue/green algae bloom, usually as a sign of too many nutrients in the water form fertiliser or excess food, tests are not always accurate, sometimes just visible signs are enough to see what's wrong.

The solution is to maybe cut back on the amount of food given, drastically by the sounds of it, no plant fertiliser and do water changes daily for at least week and increase aeration from your filter, using an extra airstone if need be.

shawn barker
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:52 AM
OK, Thanks Phil

I have directed my spray bar to the surface and will carry on with daily w/c and keep fingers crossed.

Is it worth turning of my CO2 till problem has gone?

Phlipper
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 11:55 AM
The Co2 is likely contributing to the outbreak, but to turn it off may very well alter Ph values ytoo quickly, maybe if you can turn down the Co2 output.

shawn barker
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:45 PM
Good thinking, shall turn it down a tad.

Cheers

UK Discus
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:40 PM
Hi shawn barker
I had this problem when I first did a planted tank,I take it that you had no surface movement so you did not lose all your CO2.After a lot of reading I found out that it is a organic film that appears on planted tanks that don't have any surface movement.
The best way to stop it happing is to get a surface skimmer,you put it on the outlet pipe to you filter and it will remove some of the surface water and keep it clear.I have not had a problem since fitting one to my tank.

Mark

shawn barker
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks Mark

You are right about me not wanting to have too much surface movement and the CO2 thing.

So what is a surface skimmer and were would I get one from?

UK Discus
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 05:21 PM
This place do the Eheim one for £20
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z296128.asp

They are Designed to take a small amount of water form the surface of the tank as well as the normal bottom intake.
Fluval use to do a cheaper version but I can't seem to find it anymore so I think they have stopped making it,this is the one I use,but I would of thought the Eheim one would work just as well.

Mark

shawn barker
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the info shall now try and find out some more info as to whether it is possible to make one out of the bits I have laying around...failing that I shall have too sweet talk my wife that I really could do with one of these things.

UK Discus
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 11:31 PM
you should be able to make one out off the one inch overflow pipe that's what I am planning on doing for my other tanks.If you need any pics of the one I have let me know.
The pic below is of the one that I am planning on making the only part that I am not sure about is the insert to control how much water is taken from the top of the tank,but as long as you make the hole that in it small at first all should be well, it will just be a matter of making it a bit bigger at a time until you are happy with the flow of water.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/supersexycybervamp/SurfaceSkimmer.jpg

shawn barker
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 07:16 PM
It looks fairly simple to make. I have also been looking around the internet and found other designs.

This one-

http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/Busko/#S-4

looks a bit complicated with the valve he has incoorperated into the design but looking at yours and his I think that I can come up with something in the next few days.

Will post on here how I get on as I need to do something to keep the surface clear.

UK Discus
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 07:37 PM
That one does look a bit complicated and by time you get all the bits to make it you would be better off buying one in the first place.
Wilko's do the overflow pipe for about £2 and and the joints are cheep so you should be able to make it for £5 to £6.
I was also thinking last night and you should be able to make it with out the insert to control the flow,just make the slots in the top piece smaller so not as much water can flow through,then expand them untill you are happy with the flow rate.
Let us know how you get on and do some pics if you can.

Mark

Phlipper
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 11:54 PM
One thing to think of I reckon is this.................surface skimmers may clear off the green film on the water surface, but all you are doing is hiding the fact that something is not right with the water chemestry, sweeping it under the carpet so to speak is not the solution :idea:

Bill T.
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 04:02 AM
I have a spare one of those fluval surface skimmers. They work prettu well - would be willing to send it to you if you want. I was using these gadgets to remove film from the water surface, but now I rely on surface agitation and regular water changes.

The other thing is, do you have a UV steriliser? This would keep algae blooms under control.

I also agree, nothing is as good as proper water conditions.

shawn barker
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 08:02 AM
One thing to think of I reckon is this.................surface skimmers may clear off the green film on the water surface, but all you are doing is hiding the fact that something is not right with the water chemestry, sweeping it under the carpet so to speak is not the solution :idea:

I agree with you completly about the water quality but I have tested the water quite a bit since this film appeared and all the test come back saying that the water in the tank, including my tap water and RO water are fine. I have also kept up with water changes etc. So can you suggest what the problem may be?

Therefore, having read up on various other sites, the indication is that this is not uncommon for planted tanks to experience this at some time although none seem to specify any one particular reason.

So I aim to sweep it off the surface not under the carpet!

PS. Thanks for the offer of your spare Bill but I think to the Uk maybe a tad pricey on the postage, so shall have a go at the DIY mthod first.

shawn barker
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 05:43 PM
Just a quick update.

After looking around the net I found an even simpler skimmer that I have managed to make from a gravel filter riser.

Simply turn it upside down, cut a few slots in the now top, slide over the intake for your external filter and adjust so water enters the slots. Simple as that and only a couple of quid if you haven't got one laying around.

The film has all gone, for the first time, within an hour of yet another water change. Fingers crossed it stays like it now.

Below are a couple of quick pics that I hope may illustrate what I have just said.