PDA

View Full Version : blue light bulbs

FishLover
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 06:46 PM
Has anyone tried this?

I have two Jebo compact lights and just replaced the regular bulbs with blue light bulbs since it is time for new bulbs. They really bring out the color of the Discus, especially my blue turqs and blue diamonds.

It makes the tank a 'cool' light blue and the fish with any blue and light color stands out. It almost like a marine tank. I really enjoy them. Just want to share with you.

Not sure what the impact on my tank yet. I guess I will find out soon.

Tunnel Rat
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 08:39 AM
I use the Marine glo tubes its a blue light. It really brings out the color on my RTG I use it with a Aqua glo.The Aqua glo is for my plants the blue tube for the fish color and I think it makes the water look Cristal clear.

cya
Rat

Bad Inferno
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:32 AM
when I tried this I had HUGE algea problems

Tunnel Rat
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 11:48 AM
when I tried this I had HUGE algea problems

I was told the blue light would make no difference to algea growth :?
I have only been using this combo for a week now with no algea.
I have not got any algea so it will be a good test to see if it starts to be a problem will keep you all posted.

cya
Rat

FishLover
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:40 PM
I do see some algae growth after two weeks. I'm going to cut down the hours per day and see if I can keep the algae in check.

I will keep you guys updated.

DiscusEden
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 10:25 AM
Do you guys have a UV filter in the tank? Can you get away with the blue tube without algae growth if you do?

Thanks,
DiscusEden

ellwa
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 10:33 AM
I had a 55W plant tube and a 55W marine/reef tube, and was having algae problems on my annubias, but after a week, not even, with 2 marine/reef tubes, my tank is looking better, my annubias is growing even faster, and my fish looks more natural.

10/10 blue/white combo tubes.

They are 10k/actinic I think.

FishLover
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:33 PM
Update:
I do have a 36w UV for my tank.

After few weeks, I don't see that much difference of algae growth. I did cut down the lighting period for about 2 hours. Maybe that makes a difference.

Tunnel Rat
Tue Oct 17, 2006, 04:04 AM
Its been two weeks now with the blue Marine glo tube still no algae problems.

Rat