PDA

View Full Version : finally some wrigglers

samir
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 06:58 AM
managed to get about 40 wrigglers this time around, well its a start. reds seem to be a pain to breed or maybe its just these guys or something i've started doing wrong :? .

Mulisha
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:25 AM
That's awersome congrats !! 8-) 8-) 8-)

nicholas76
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:36 AM
Congrats Samir when it comes to breeding Discus your showing the rest of us how its done!

*Chris*
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:57 AM
great stuff dude as per usual
EXAI

DR.V
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:59 AM
Take anything black in the tank to prevent fry getting attach to them (ie : black suction cap etc)

I had problem with fry not attaching to parents in the past, and finally die because cant find any food. But managed to solve this problem with a few tricks. :)

Good luck with the fry. Keep us posted 8-) .

aquaholic
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:01 AM
good work samir
nice parents as well:)

ren
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:03 AM
awesome :)

congrats samir

beautiful pair you have there!

samir
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 08:28 AM
thanks guys.
250 fry = awesome well done :lol:
40 fry = scratch your head and wonder what to do next :?

Congrats Samir when it comes to breeding Discus your showing the rest of us how its done!
thanks nick.
right now i'm having a hard time showing myself how its done :? its taken bout 6 weeks for them to go from 4 to 40 wrigglers. maybe i need to feed more.

Take anything black in the tank to prevent fry getting attach to them (ie : black suction cap etc)

I had problem with fry not attaching to parents in the past, and finally die because cant find any food. But managed to solve this problem with a few tricks. :)

Good luck with the fry. Keep us posted 8-) .

thanks Doc. the filter etc is at the other end of the 3 footer so i doubt the'll be allowed to go that far. thanks for the advice i'll be more careful. i remember seeing some pics of your fry they were awesome.

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 05:03 AM
Well done samir.

Red fish really are a pain to breed. Don't know why, but everyone seems to have problems. Red fish just seem to take longer to get their act together. But you've done well, with 40 fry.

Next time the numbers should improve. :P

samir
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 07:19 AM
is it too much inbreeding ???

samir
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 06:32 AM
now having attaching issues. :? not many fry left maybe next time i'll try artificially rearing them.

DR.V
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:03 AM
now having attaching issues. :? not many fry left maybe next time i'll try artificially rearing them.

Reduce the water level up to where the parents can swim upwards.

This way you reducing the volume of the water so its easier for the fry to find it parents.

Then wrap the tank with white paper.

This is to make a great contrast so that the parents will be the darkest in the tank.

After 1 week or two, start to increase water level.

HTH.

samir
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:06 AM
thanks , i'll do it next time probably too late for them already, maybe i'll just paint a 2 footer white.

samir
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 05:00 AM
thanks for your help DRV and Brad. i got about 6-10 that survived ,attach ,so i guess i'll grow them out and see how they turn out :D

samir
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 06:29 AM
here are a couple of blurry pics of attached fry. i have had great success with breeding my BD's on sheer laziness and overconfidence, does not seem to work with reds . was an excellent learning experience. i could just blame the fish errrr ummmm yeah its their fault, the're a bad pair :lol: :lol: . well turns out it wasn't as easy as i thought. next time around I think i'll nail it :D

geo/discus breeder
Fri Oct 06, 2006, 01:37 PM
i have got a red marlbro i will try to pair of with either a white swan, golden leperd, royal blue or i could find another couple of malbro's which do you think would work out best pair

also what were some of your mistakes

samir
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 05:14 AM
probably the white swan ?? i'm no expert on dicscus genetics so i wouldn't really know.

goldenpigeon
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 06:29 AM
nice male :D

great job mate! i look forward to more pics. i wish i could get my act togeather and get my new tanks organised on a system. i have pairs regularly spawning and im missing all the action lol

cheers dude
Davo

G-1000
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 10:58 AM
Geo,

Cross the marlboro with another PB.

Crossing with the white swan may well give you an ugly-ass fish

G

mistakes r crucial
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 07:19 PM
Hi Samir,

Sounds like we all get the same problems with red fish. Mine still have small batches compared to other pairs (40-60) but I'm getting the most out of them by hand feeding for the first two days with Liquifry 4-5 times a day. The fry seem to hang at the top of the tank or in the corners for a day or so with no intention of attaching but after they've had a feed for a couple of days and get that little bit stronger they attach no problem. I just get 3-4 drops of Liquifry and mix it with 40ml of water, suck it up in a turkey baster and gently squirt it over them. It's been working well for me.
MAC

samir
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 08:36 PM
thanks Mac, i've got another batch right now, maybe 60, i'll try that.

samir
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 10:48 PM
actually its more like 80-90 wrigglers, i did an approx head count. i'll buy some liquifry today. this time they had more eggs about 300 plus. i have been feeding more. i turned off the air pump on the sponge when they were spawning,the last two times, so maybe thats improved the fertility ???

Mulisha
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 07:58 AM
That's some dedication MAC well done mate but it all pays off becuase look at your discus mate A1 Top Class i still can't get over when i visted your fishroom some much effort has gone into it... Well done mate!

By the way Samir your discus are looking amazing for nice mate .. 8-) 8-)

Merrilyn
Wed Oct 11, 2006, 09:06 AM
Hi Samir,

Sounds like we all get the same problems with red fish. Mine still have small batches compared to other pairs (40-60)
MAC

And that's why red fish present such a breeding challenge, and why they will never be as plentiful as turks. :P