PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do

Zbiljc
Sat Sep 30, 2006, 01:58 PM
I have some new discus. They seem to me OK, but when put my own raise young discus with them, trouble.

My own discus became confused and they didn't eat anymore. Wins were together. in one week they died, but the new one are the same as they were.
What's the problem? :?: :?:

*Chris*
Sat Sep 30, 2006, 10:36 PM
sounds like one of the new ones is carrying something or you coukld have shocked them by moving them
if you could water parameters? temp?
EXAI

mcloughlin2
Sat Sep 30, 2006, 11:21 PM
So just to make this clear, you bought some new discus, placed them in with your discus you already had, and the old ones died?

If so it could be a number of things ... The thing that comes to my head first is, the new discus you bought had a disease that they were immune to ... or it somehow didnt affect them in any case ...

Once placed in the tank with your old discus the disease spread to them and since they did not have a immunity to the disease they died ... :?

Zbiljc
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 06:49 AM
So just to make this clear, you bought some new discus, placed them in with your discus you already had, and the old ones died?

If so it could be a number of things ... The thing that comes to my head first is, the new discus you bought had a disease that they were immune to ... or it somehow didnt affect them in any case ...

Once placed in the tank with your old discus the disease spread to them and since they did not have a immunity to the disease they died ... :?

I placed my oldone discus in tank with new ones. Temperature and pH, kH, gh, are the same.

I couldn't more agree with you, that they have to be immune to this disease, but how long they will be? When can I transport them in tank with other discus. :?:

samir
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 07:39 AM
symptoms would help. they wont die of shock

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 08:11 AM
If they were not acclimatized properly they could ... I've had fish die cause i raised the pH by 0.5 within a few hours ...

samir
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 08:20 AM
i take new fish out of the bag with my hand and just put them straight in the new tank. the temp was around the same, but the ph in the bags was way lower. i've had rummy nose and neons die so i've stopped doing that with them, but i'm pretty confident it wont happen to my discus.

goldenpigeon
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 08:52 AM
its pretty hard to kill a discus with shock i think. they are pretty hardy fish IMO. i moved house last week end and had to put all my discus in buckets for up to 3 hours without an airline in the water and the buckets were sealed. i had about 7 discus in one bucket and i put 2 pairs of discus per one bucket for the rest. it took me a few hours to get them into tanks and during that time they had very dirty water, little oxygen at points, the temp went down to 25 degrees etc. basically they were under a lot of stress. then i put them in a new enviroment which was even more stressful. then 2 and a bit days alter i had 3 pairs spawn........... they cope with shock pretty well i think......

Zbiljc
Sun Oct 01, 2006, 09:34 AM
I also thisnk, taht they didn't die because of shock. They were in diffrent conditions, so they are not really scary. I think that new ones have some virus?

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:38 AM
I agree that your new fish have some kind of virus that caused the death of your other fish.

The only thing you can do now is keep your new fish isolated and away from the rest of your fish for at least 4 weeks. During that time, treat them for worms and flukes, and maybe, in this case, treat them with a course of antibiotics. Watch them for any symptoms of illness.

After the four weeks, take one fish from your existing tank, and put it in with the new fish. If that one dies too, they you know you will never be able to mix those fish with your other fish. They will have to stay in a tank on their own.

Can you describe the symptoms of the young fish that died? How long were they in the tank, before they died?

Anything else that you can think of may help us to sort out this problem for you.

Zbiljc
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 01:04 PM
Hy,
they were there obout one week, they become darker and they didn't eat.